cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stop the pop ups!

It truly baffles me when a PC security software maker fails to understand why people purchase their software.  The recent pop-ups have turned my mostly good experience with Webroot into a horrible one where I am left with the choice of either accepting the problem or uninstalling the software for good.

What I am talking about are the purportedly "informational" messages that have recently been popping up, taking focus away from anything and everything else that I am doing in order to tell me something that should be, and in fact is sent in email.  I cannot turn them off, and if I am doing something full screen (such as a game), it will actually drop me out of the game in order to show me the message.  Some examples include the recent "Windows 10" message and the more current "Security report" message.  These messages show up once every 24 hours with no way of turning them off.

Enough is enough.  The definition of "malware" is software that is intended to damage or perform unwanted actions on a computer.  These messages are unwanted, and there is no way to turn them off short of uninstalling the software.  Remember malware with multiple names such as "Spy Sheriff" that would repeatedly prompt you with warning messages about your security until you bought it?  Webroot is treading dangerously close to the functionality of that software, which would place it in the category of malware.

Working with support only fixes the immediate problem, and they cannot do anything about the functionality of the software.  If Webroot wants to communicate with me, do so through my email address as they have already done for both of these pop-ups.  Otherwise, software needs to stay silent.  I did not buy my computer to provide Webroot a platform on which to espouse how great their software is, I bought it to do the things I want to do.  If Webroot continues to interrupt the things I want to do, then I will have no need for Webroot's software.

23 REPLIES
Community Leader

Re: Stop the pop ups!

@godlyfrog

its understandbe that you might be dissatisfied with this situation but just  posting this rant like message won't help you a lot in your case.. Maybe you ought to have a look at this idea suggestion from one  of the experts here that IMO describes what you suffer.

More control of Personalised Security Report and other IPM

The more people support this feature request the clearer it is to the support team that features like this are really required by many users. I am by far not as experienced as the poster of this suggestion but if there's anything i can help you with you can allways nudge me .

Edwin

Community Guide

Frequent Voice

Excellent post godlyfrog.  I contacted tech support about remedying this situation.  Thx.

Frequent Voice

Support said in a word..."too bad" and pointed me to a forum to put in a feature request (which I see was done 6 months ago).  But they also said it should only pop up when the computer starts or comes out of sleep.  That is actually reasonable...if that's the best webroot designers can manage.  Earlier today I clicked on the report to view it.  There was nothing in it of value to me.  Then a few hours later, it popped up again.  Does anyone know how many times one must view the report to stop the nagware reminders?  Thanks in advance.

Gold VIP

As far as I am aware one either just has to view it a few times (4 or 5 times seems to be the consensus view) OR it should stop popping up after a couple of days from when it first started...again the consensus view on this.

Hope that helps?

Regards, Baldrick

Untitled-1.png

Webroot SecureAnywhere Complete Beta Tester v9.0.24.37, imaged by Macrium Reflect v7.2

Frequent Voice

Thanks...appreciate it...will give it a try.  Smiley Happy

Gold VIP

No worries...I will be interested to see if you experience confirms all of this or not so please post back and let us know either way.

Cheers, Baldrick

Untitled-1.png

Webroot SecureAnywhere Complete Beta Tester v9.0.24.37, imaged by Macrium Reflect v7.2

Retired Webrooter
Retired Webrooter

If it is indeed popping up that frequently then it's a bug - please let support know that in the ticket and ask them to escalate it as a bug.

Frequent Voice

Maybe it was just a fluke, but no more pop-ups since last reported.  

Frequent Voice

I get the pop ups on my droid phone and that's it i have six computer systems that i run no problem i am thankfull because when i used avast it never ended on the pop ups so far this webroot been working grate Smiley Wink