cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
New Voice

Re: Task Manager

Yeah support sent me a link for a version they thought would fix the problem.  Has not done so. I turned off the web shield and it seemed to work ok for a bit but then PC locked up so bad i had hit the restart button.  Just have to wait for support and I have sent more logs.

Gold VIP

Hi NichoUnited,

I am really sorry to hear you are still having these issues.

Thank you for letting us know.

Sherry

original.png Microsoft® Windows Insider MVP - Windows Security

Helpful Webroot Links:

Download (PC) | Download (Best Buy Subscription) | Submit Trouble Ticket | Account Console | User_Guides | BrightCloud URL lookup

Register
and Introduce yourself to The Community!

ALIENWARE 17R4 Win 10 Pro x64 / Mac OS X El Capitan (10.11.6), IPad's, PCs,W 10 & (VM:10) & Webroot® SecureAnywhere™ Internet Security Complete (Android Samsung Galaxy Note 8) Beta Tester,Windows Insider Builds

Any update on this?  I have literally the exact same issue.  I don't necessarily think it is Webroot enabled (we have the MSP version installed), but when I open Firefox (which works fine by itself) and then open Task Manager, the computer locks up, usually requiring a hard restart.  Other browsers work just fine.  Was any determination found if this was related to Webroot?

Quick update - I did try removing Webroot and it works fine.  So, something related to Firefox Quantum, Webroot, and Task Manager.  This is a new issue - how do we go about resolving this?

Gold VIP

Hi DFielder

Welcome to the Community Forums.

The best approach in the circumstances is that you Open a Support Ticket, to notify the Support Team of the issue. Hopefully they will get back in touch shortly and investigate the causes for you.

Personally, I am not seeing this issue but it could be something specific either to yours or my system.

Regards, Baldrick

Untitled-1.png

Webroot SecureAnywhere Complete Beta Tester v9.0.23.32, imaged by Macrium Reflect v7.1

Alright, I've been having the same issues as the O.P. in this thread.

From reading a few responses, I've concluded that this issue has nothing specific to do with Task Manager, but rather something to do with Firefox.

I tried following;

1. Closed Firefox and let Webroot run as I opened Task Manager, it opened up without any delay.
2. Closed Webroot and let Firefox run as I opened Task Manager, it opened up without any delay.
3. Closed both Firefox and Webroot as I opened Task Manager, it opened up without any delay.

4. Closed Firefox and let Webroot and Edge as I opened Task Manager, it opened up without any delay.
5. Closed Firefox and let Webroot and Chrome as I opened Task Manager, it opened up without any delay.

Here's where the issues arise;

1. Opened Firefox and let Webroot run as I opened Task Manager, had to wait several minutes as it opened.

2. Opened Firefox and let Webroot run - but turned off the Web Shield, - as I opened Task Manager, it opened up with a slight few seconds delay.

So, as we can surmise from this, the issue seems to be caused either by something within Webroot not liking Firefox, or it's the other way around, where Firefox does not like Webroot.

As long as you close Firefox while using Webroot every time you open Task Manager, you should have no issues until either Webroot or Firefox fixes whatever is the cause of this issue.

To help either one of the two to fix the issue, I would recommend letting both Firefox, as well as Webroot, know about the issue so that they are aware of this and can start figuring out how to fix it as soon as possible.

Retired Webrooter
Retired Webrooter

@Frankieo1920, please submit a ticket to our Team and they can determine exactly which shield is causing the issue. Thanks!

@DFielder wrote:

Any update on this?  I have literally the exact same issue.  

I too have this same issue. I totally by chance stubled across this post as I was originally here reading about the Microsoft Patch Release for 'Meltdown' and 'Spectre': https://community.webroot.com/t5/Security-Industry-News/Microsoft-Patch-Release-1-3-18/m-p/310145

I have the same issue where I try to open Taskmanager and my machine behaves exactly as the original poster described. I have searched high and low for answers with Google, and even built a brand new computer, only to find I had the same issue with Task Manager on the new computer, which you can imaging was a complete downer to see. I never even remotely thought it was a problem with WebRoot.

I noticed it heavily while using Firefox Quantum, but have noticed this same Task Manager behavior using Chrome or even Edge. I use Task Manager quite often, but have been very reluctant to even touch it since it practically locks my computer.

The only time I have felt safe using Task Manager is after a fresh reboot, and no other programs open. That is the only time Task Manager opens and does not lock up my machine.

I will continue to watch this thread, and will put in a support ticket referencing this post. I hope there is a resolution soon, and I am now so glad to know it is not something wrong with my computer!

Thanks again for all the info here.

Frequent Voice

I am having the same issue.  Even turning off protection did not fix it on my new desktop (2 Xeon processors, 48g RAM, 1Terabyte SSD).  I had to completely uninstall Webroot.  That fixed it instantly.  I have installed another AV that is highly rate by AV Test and have no problems.  But I really prefer using Webroot and hope that the developers are watching this thread.  I would put in a support ticket, but I see that others have already done so.

As an aside, I had an identical slowdown / non-responsiveness running Regedit with Firefox running and Webroot installed.  That also has gone away after uninstalling Webroot.

One last thing - shutting down protection without uninstalling Webroot DID help the situation on my laptop - but who wants to shut down protection every time they want to run task manager?

Can anyone confirm that they do NOT have this issue with the combo of Webroot, Firefox (updated), and Task Manager?

Gold VIP

Hello smoddelm,

Welcome to the Webroot Community,

Sorry to hear you are having these issues.

I was having this issue as well but it seems to be working for me right now.

Would you please Submit a Support Ticket and have the Webroot Team check this out for you? This is a free service with your Webroot subscription. It usually takes 24-48 hours for them to respond. Sometimes sooner.

Hope this helps?

Sherry

original.png Microsoft® Windows Insider MVP - Windows Security

Helpful Webroot Links:

Download (PC) | Download (Best Buy Subscription) | Submit Trouble Ticket | Account Console | User_Guides | BrightCloud URL lookup

Register
and Introduce yourself to The Community!

ALIENWARE 17R4 Win 10 Pro x64 / Mac OS X El Capitan (10.11.6), IPad's, PCs,W 10 & (VM:10) & Webroot® SecureAnywhere™ Internet Security Complete (Android Samsung Galaxy Note 8) Beta Tester,Windows Insider Builds