Solved

The Block Allow screen in webroot

• 7 October 2017
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 5
I see other screen shots of this screen showing hundreds of programs marked allow, my screen always looks like this, is this normal/ok or is something up?

icon

Best answer by BurnDaddy 7 October 2017, 16:53

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Hi kliebor

There is no preset or prescribed content to the 'Block/Allow' list. From the online help:

"Block/Allow Files settings override SecureAnywhere’s default scanning and shielding behavior.
To control scanning and shielding behavior related to specific files, you can use the Block/Allow Files tab to specify one of the following actions:
  • Allow — Ignore a file during scans and shielding.
  • Block — Stop a file from executing or being written to your computer.
  • Monitor — Watch the program to determine if it is legitimate or related to malware."
So what that basically means is that anything in there will override WRSA's automatic operations, so...one  would only expect files in there if one had put them there either by adding them manually to try to make sure that WRSA didt not block them in error, to block something that one does not want to be running and which WRSA is letting run or if one decides that the results of a scan are erroneous, i..e, false positives or the like, and restoring them from Quarantine.

So, if one has done none of the above then one should not expect to find anything in the 'Block/Allow' List.

I hope that helps explain? If not then please post back for further assistance.

Regards, Baldrick

Is here any chance that a Mod or VIP can please unmask Kliebor's pic so the rest of us can see what he has posted?

Thank you.
@ wrote:
I see other screen shots of this screen showing hundreds of programs marked allow, my screen always looks like this, is this normal/ok or is something up?

Hi Kliebor,

Unfortunately, I am unable to see the pic you have posted so I am just going to guess what you have posted and ask if maybe you aren't confusing the "Active Processes" list with "Block/Allow" list?

Just a thought, and if I am incorrect then I apologize. Until we are all allowed to see the picture I can only speculate. ;)

Cheers,
BD
Userlevel 5
Thanks Burndaddy, that was exactly what I was looking at, I guess I was just not thinking clearly this morning.

I was able to find the active process list and found the one file set to monitor.

If I change the setting from monitor to allow that stops the log from growing for every action that software takes so webroot can undo it correct?

I have used Abelsoft products for a long time and I have yet to find anything terrible in their software.

Thanks...

Dave
@ wrote:
Thanks Burndaddy...

If I change the setting from monitor to allow that stops the log from growing for every action that software takes so webroot can undo it correct?

I have used Abelsoft products for a long time and I have yet to find anything terrible in their software.
You're welcome, Dave. And yes, since you are familiar with the software you can change it to 'allow'. You may need to reboot your PC or restart WSA for the changes to take effect and the monitoring to cease.

Cheers,
BD
Userlevel 5
Thanks I will keep an eye on the wrsa log folder and see what the size of the undo grows to... I know eventually the guys at webroot will clear the file it just takes a while sometimes.

I hate to shut it off myself, just in case, but yeah i am pretty sure about the file. Definitely sure about the vendor, just not sure if there is any chance they were compromised at their end :)

Dave
@ wrote:

I hate to shut it off myself, just in case, but yeah i am pretty sure about the file. Definitely sure about the vendor, just not sure if there is any chance they were compromised at their end :)

Dave
If you'd like, Dave, you can submit a support ticket and let Webroot determine if the file just needs to be whitelisted. Support is free with your subscription. ;)

BD