Solved

Using PC Security Advanced Options - COMMANDS

Had what I suspect was a "Pilot Error" on my WSA-Complete when I attempted to use COMMANDS function to a remote PC.

Despite searching here and in KB I have as yet been unable to locate any clues although I'm convinced they exist somewhere and this is in fact a user error!.

Rather than duplicate the exact scenario/details here I've just provided a link to Wilders site where've I've elaborated the issue in my own thread:>  PC Security Advanced Options

I trust this method doesn't contravene this forums t&c's?  :( 
icon

Best answer by horseman 31 August 2013, 13:25

View original

11 replies

Userlevel 7
Hello Horseman!

I will admit up front that I am not at my computer to verify functionality of the commands right this moment, so my comment may not be correct.

The remote commands do not currently operate on a "push" model. The commands are launched the next time the target computer "checks in" with the Webroot servers. As soon as any event occurs that cause any communication from client to server the commands are sent. My guess is that the commands will all fire the next time a URL is checked while web browsing, checking for updates, start of a scan, license check, anything.

I could be wrong if there happens to be a bug at the back-end at the moment though.
I'm obliged for the very prompt response and your proposition which is certainly a plausible one, although I'd rather it was indeed actually an error or user specific bug. Otherwise the implications of having effectively a "message queue" WITHOUT a mechanism to cancel/re-arrange dynamically on the cloud server does fill me with some trepidation! :(

EDIT: Oh what DoS attack and confusion we could rain down on our unsuspecting users with that MSG-Q'ing mechanism! 😉
Userlevel 7
That is something I am not sure about...if only the last command is queue'd or only the first, or all. I had not thought of that......

Any fuller info on this from Webroot?
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
To Quote JoeJ:

"Could you try sending a command and click "Check for updates" on the tray icon?"

And you know where that came from horseman. :)

Daniel
Thanks Daniel - yes I'll check that in due course when he's next on line as well as checking another remote test install and my own local PC deployment over coming weeks.
OK my colleague came on-line and yes we've confirmed that WSA server Q's the pushed Console commands FIFO which are then pulled/pushed from WSA server when the user invokes "Check for Updates".

So I'm puzzled? This doesn't follow the usual elegant and structured design concepts that PX Derby Team had followed for the past decade?  I can't at the moment find any method to cancel these queued commands or flush the MSG-Q stack?
Perhaps there is a way or I've missed something in PX/WSA conceptual planning because while I haven't tested to see how big the MSG-Q can be, it just seems a tad irresponsible to push a number of RESTART/SHUTDOWN commands without the ability to cancel them?  
The fact it's theoretically limited to only an authorised Admin is irrelevant in my opinion, but now we know it appears possible then we(or at least myself) are forewarned.

Until I'm enlightened further(which will probably be Joe who will not be at all amused by my nit picking! 😉 )  it's just B.A.D(Broken As Designed)! 😞
Userlevel 7
Horseman,

I think you have some good comments on it. The commands are mighty useful, but I agree being able to view the current queue would be rather handy to say the least. If you put a suggestion in the Ideas forum I will gladly toss a Kudo on it!

Needless to say I had never tried an overload of commands.
Bless you for the thought - but no, seriously I'm not interested in Rank,Title, Kudo's or any other pseudo-competitive (psychological) initiative that (what I suspect is a Lithium Based Web forum engine) I suddenly find in my PM inbasket (yes thanks Jim but you're really are preaching/encouraging the wrong person).  
My posts stand or fall simply on the merit (or lack of) in their own right irrespective of who presented them or the "lack of style" of the delivery.
If you really think it has some merit then you take ownership and progress it! - Seriously and good luck!  So actually I'll give you the kudo's instead!    ;)

Userlevel 7
I am not interested in it either... that is just a 'thank you' for helping out on here.  I here to learn and to help and don't really worry about Kudo's.

Post it if you want, but I will if you don't as I think you have a very good train of thought there.
@DavidP1970 wrote:
... but I will if you don't as I think you have a very good train of thought there.
Go for it and fwiw you have my complete blessing and you're likely to make the point far more concisely than I ever could! 
Good luck.
6week's later an update as I pursuing other anomalies I found my WSA(Mac) wasn't auto-updating so revisiting Commands again.   Now Daniel(TH) & others has suggested in another thread to check/force any Q'd commands by using the Manual check update command by right clicking on WSA icon.  On Mac that's slightly different as you need to Open WSA from menu bar icon first and then "Check for Updates" from menu bar dropdown as per example:

Perhaps some one has found a default hot key to do this on Mac with less key strokes?   Anyway the end result is same and I can at least confirm that my now re-installed WSA(Mac)8.0.4.231:118  does indeed "pull" the Q'd commands almost instantaneously.