Webroot Backup & Sync has disabled itself...again!

• 7 October 2017
  • 6 replies

Hello Community.

I woke up today to find that my Backup & Sync had been loggged out (ie. shutdown). After re-logging in I found that I had no folders listed under the "Folders" tab for syncing (except for 1 "WebrootAnywhere" folder from a different PC). I had to manually re-add all of the folders that I had been syncing. Not a huge deal, but if I hadn't noticed, I could have gone days without backups. :@

I have had issues in the past with B&S turning itself off (sliders set to off, and red), but for the past few months or more things had been fine.This time I was just logged out of B&S, but the result was the same (no backups).

I have submitted a support ticket. Just thought I would post the issue here to see if others are having any issues with B&S.;)

Hope everyone has a great day, :)
BD

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +19
Had the issue a few months ago, BD, but it's been fine since then and is ok at the moment.
@ wrote:
Had the issue a few months ago, BD, but it's been fine since then and is ok at the moment.
Thanks, Sheltieuk. I should have mentioned that I'm having the issue with the Release (not Beta) version of WSA (v9.0.17.28). I went ahead and did a clean reinstall since I had still not gotten the update to v9.0.18.38. All looks good, atm. I will monitor the behavior of B&S in this new version. ;)

Thanks again,
BD
Userlevel 5
I do notice every 3-6 months (I do not really track closely because I almost never look at my backup and sync settings) that I will have to type in my password again when I open the sync properties, I have not yet lost my sync folders when logging back in.

I keep three folders myself and have disabled the default folder and have yet to lose that.

I will keep an eye out moving forward, maybe some kind of trace cleaner could have wiped out that data and therefore you lost the settings? I have had trace cleaners go a little too wild on removal in the past and lost saved settings like that.

Dave

Userlevel 7
Hi Dave

Have seen this behaviour just once in all of the time that I have been using WRSA...and in that case it was the manifestation of a known issue in the Backup & Sync area, which I believe has been fixed as I have seen no more occurrence.

I would open that support ticket, if you have not done so already, as it may be either a system specific or back end  issue.

Regards, Baldrick
Thanks Dave. I used to use Ccleaner, but never had any issues with it, or in terms of it affecting Webroot. Luckily for me, I was working crazy-long hours in mid-July when the Ccleaner hack happened. I hadn't upgraded any of my PCs to the affected version, but I've uninstalled it from all machines, anyway.

I think I may have had to log back in to B&S in the past, but the synced folders usually remained. I say 'usually' because there was a time, a while back, that myself and others were having issues with the sliders in B&S turning themselves off. Luckily that issue has been corrected and I have not seen that behavior in a while. 
When I logged on today I found the same blue Webroot screen saying it required a scan (same thing yesterday). When the scan was done today, however, despite having to log back into B&S again, all synced folders were there as they should be.:D

So I'm thinking it is more, as Baldrick alluded to, system specific. I have folders synced in B&S across 3 different users in Windows 7 Pro. I think it is this dynamic that may be causing the occasional hiccup.

Thanks, Baldrick. I submitted a ticket yesterday. I expect to hear something back tomorrow, if they're not off for Columbus Day, or Tuesday, if they are. I will post back what I find. ;)

Cheers,
BD
Userlevel 5
I do the same but only 2 computers and Windows 10... my desktop and laptop share 1 folder on weboot sync and the desktop backs up my documents and pictures to a webroot backup folder.  My laptop and desktop sync all of my docs and pictures and music etc using OneDrive any docs I edit/add are kept in sync, my main PC downloads them and webroot backs them up from the main PC, well except for my music and video folders those are just too big.

I also keep a BackBlayze account for all my files, and run Acronis to make local backups to a NAS for quick oops restores when I do something stupid and accidentally delete a file I need.

Layered defenses... and convenience :)

Have a good one All