Webroot Filtering Extension has become very very slow & Unreliable

• 28 June 2015
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 1
Anyone else noticing sudden slowness in the filtering extension for chrome? Every URL I enter there's a 4-5 second lag with the message "waiting for extension webroot filtering extension" 

I also tried in firefox, but am seeing things like google search results that  instead of the color coded ratings for sites just have gray circles which a mouseover tells me "Rating temporarily unavailable. We are working to restore service. No user action is necessary."

Seems like it's been going on for me the last few days.

8 replies

Userlevel 1
I did see another post about the search results here and yes a reboot helped that, but this has never been an issue before and I don't particularly want to keep rebooting to keep things running (I know, I know ... it's Windows ... but I've only just started seeing this recently and am curious as to what changed. 
Userlevel 7
Hi Terry

I have to say that I can understand what you are saying.  What is very strange is that this issue only appears to affect some user.  If it is causing you an issue that you cannot put up with then you can just disable the extension by going into the addons/extensions manager for each of the browsers that you use, and simply disabling the relevant extension. You are still very well covered by WSA in terms of protection.

If you do not know where to go in the browser(s) then please let us know which one(s) you use and one of us can provide the appropriate instructions.

If you have the time please check what version of the extension you are using as it is also possible that you do not have the up to date version; sometimes it appears that whilst WSA itself updates the extensions do not 'move up' with the main app...so it may be an good idea to check this just in case that is the case here, as with Chrome there is a way to manually install the latest version should you have it on your system but it is just the fact that it is not installed.

Regards, Baldrick
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
You might want to contact support so they can troubleshoot, since it is an intermittent issue that only affects some people, as Baldrick mentioned.

We also have a beta running right now that has a new driver-based replacement for the browser filtering extension, and I still have keycodes for that if you'd be interested in trying that out instead.
I'm having the same problem in Chrome, but it doesn't allow me to disable the extension.  How can I shut this down??
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hello ?

Welcome to the Webroot Community,

There is a change that may have already gone out to SOME users, though possibly not all.  For those having the issue disabling the Web Filter Extensions (though we do NOT reccomend leaving them disabled: the Web Filter is an important part of your protection) please see this KB Article here

Give this a try and see if it helps.

Userlevel 7
Hello there, welcome to the Community!

There has been a  change in how the Filter Extensions are controlled.  Please see THIS KB Article for more information.

Since the Web Filter is supposed to be a major part of our protection, please also submit a Trouble Ticket  so that Webroot Support will have more information to work with in order to repair the problems you are having.

Thanks!
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hi ?,

Thank you, I was editing while you were posting whne I checked out that link was not the updated link. 😠
Userlevel 7
Either link works.  I was writing as you were posting as well LOL, but no harm done 🙂