Solved

Webroot Internet Security Complete 2013 Mac disables OSX 10.8.3 Dictation (Speech Recognition)

Webroot Internet Security Complete 2013 (Mac) disables Mountain Lion 10.8.3 Dictation (Speech Recognition) function on Late 2012 Mac Mini. 

I have tried clean reinstalled OSX 10.8.3 from scratch several times with Dictation working fine. But once I have installed and activated Webroot Internet Security Complete 2013, Dictation function was disabled right the way. If I disabled Webroot Internet Security Complete 2013, Dictation function came back and worked again. I have tried deleting the "com.apple.assistant.plist" in Library/Preferences folder, turned off Dictation, restarted the Mac Mini, then turned on Dictation again. But problem still wasn't fixed. Now I have uninstalled Webroot Internet Security Complete 2013 from my Mac and Dictation works fine. 

It seems to be compatibility issue for Webroot Internet Security Complete 2013 for Mac. What is the problem?
icon

Best answer by morrislam 29 March 2013, 13:20

View original

11 replies

Userlevel 7
Hello Morris and welcome to the Webroot Community!

It looks like some Dictation files need to be whitelisted in the cloud. Therefore please open a support ticket to let Webroot techies peruse your logs and wait for a reply. In the meanwhile you can check Active Processes under System Control settings to see if any of Dictation processes aren't blocked. You can also check Protected Applications under Identity Shield settings for blocked Dictation application (if Dictation is application, sorry I don't know as I don't have a MAC).
Thx pegas for your input.

I can see the Dictation process running  " DictationIM in /System/Library/Input Methods/"   Active and Allow checked.

I can't find the "Protected Applications under Identity Shield settings" you have mentioned anywhere on my Webroot Internet Security Complete 2013 Mac version.  

Did I miss anything? Thx.

I am also waiting for techsupport response to my ticket.
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
Did I miss anything?
Oh my bad, sorry I misled you :$  When directing you to the Identity Shield I didn't realize you're using WSA for Macs.

Support or moderators here on the Community will get in touch with you.
Hi pegas,

techsupport just reply my question. Here is their response:

Thank you for bringing the issue you are experiencing to our attention. The Webroot Development team has been notified of this issue and is currently working on a resolution. We expect to address this issue in an upcoming software version release, which will be downloaded automatically to your computer and installed when it is available. 

Once the newer version has been installed, check to see if the issue you reported is still occurring. If it is, let us know and we will check the status of the issue. You may contact us by phone at 866-612-4227, Mon-Fri, 7:00AM-6:00PM, or online at support.webroot.com

The Current workaround for would be to shutdown Webroot or to Open WSA and disable ‘monitor keyboard activity for keyloggers’ in Real-time Shield Preferences.

-------------------------------
Both methods works.

Userlevel 7
Thanks Morris for the feedback of support, they're fast, aren't they? ;)

Based on the reply it looks like that your issue isn't just a question of whitelistening in the cloud (what is usual workaround for blocked applications) but it needs some work under the hood of WSA. I suggest you to let WSA up and disable the monitor keyboard activity instead of shutingdown WSA. I guess it's better to disable just one feature and to profit from the rest of modules/features than having no active protection.
Thx for your help, pegas  :D
Userlevel 7
You're welcome :D

Anything else you need, just let us know. Happy Easter!
I just purchased and installed Webroot SecureAnywhere for my Mac, and had the exact same thing happen to Adobe Photoshop CC and Illustrator Cc (and all Adobe CC suite apps). 

It was very frustrating to hunt down what happened (almost regret putting AV on my Mac). Other than turning off Webroot or the secure keyboard entry, are there any other fixes?

Thanks,
Dave
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Hello and Welcome to the Webroot Community!

Sherry ? or Devin ? will be happy to help you!

Thanks,

Daniel 😉
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hello deejb,

Welcome to the Webroot Community,

Sorry to hear you are having this issue. And pausing the keyboard entry doesn't help?

Due to the unique way in which keyboard shortcuts work on the Mac OS, the secure keyboard entry feature may prohibit shortcut functions in a variety of applications. This includes, but is not limited to, Adobe Creative Suite Products, Macro applications, or some built in features that are triggered by key combinations—such as Dictation and Speech.

This can be resolved by clicking the Webroot icon located on the top right of the menu bar, then clicking Pause Secure Keyboard Entry.

http://sw.nohold.net/Webroot/Images/macpausesecurekeyboardentry.png 
Once activated, you will see a checkmark next to the menu option. While this is selected, Webroot SecureAnywhere will not secure keystrokes against keylogging software, though it will still be actively protecting you against infections. It is important to ensure that this function is enabled when browsing the internet—particularly on secure sites that require a username and pass

Then please submit a Support Ticket free of charge with an active subscription,and they can certainly check this out.

Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
I just purchased and installed Webroot SecureAnywhere for my Mac, and had the exact same thing happen to Adobe Photoshop CC and Illustrator Cc (and all Adobe CC suite apps). 

It was very frustrating to hunt down what happened (almost regret putting AV on my Mac). Other than turning off Webroot or the secure keyboard entry, are there any other fixes?

Thanks,
Dave
Hello Dave,
Because of the way that the keyboard fuctions work, there is no other way to fix this except by disableing the Secure Keyboard Function.  This is because it works in the same manner that a keylogger does, thus why we disable it.  By creating a work around for this functionallity we would be opening up your mac to keyloggers and that is something we do not want to do.  If you have anymore Mac related questions please feel free to reach out to me.
Regards,