Solved

Webroot & Kaspersky on same computer?

• 7 April 2017
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 2
Webroot was installed on my computer when I bought it last year, and it is time to renew. I have been happy with Webroot, and am wondering the following:

1. I currently have the Geek Squad Webroot SecureAnywhere IS for 3 PCs or Mac (Internet Security Plus). I would like to upgrade to Webroot SecureAnywhere Internet Security Complete, and not buy through the Geek Squad as PC Mag's affiliate links give better value. How do I go about doing this renewal/upgrade? Must I uninstall my current WRSA since I may be buying a different program, or can I simply enter the new keycode for Complete in the renewal section of my current install of Plus?

2. My husband uses Kaspersky Internet Security/Total Security, and has additional licenses. I would like to run this on my computer also. Would having both Kaspersky and WRSA on my computer cause any issues? It appears that while both are highly rated programs, they each have their strengths...

Thanks!
Deb
icon

Best answer by Baldrick 7 April 2017, 23:31

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Hi CODeb

Welcome to the Community Forums.

1. In terms of the renewal/upgrade; yes, you must uninstall the Best Buy version (assuming that it is the Best Buy version and not the standard version purchased at Best Buy). YOu should then reboot, and then please follow the steps below closely in terms of installing WSA on the target system/machine!

• Make sure you have a copy of your 20 Character Alphanumeric Keycode! Example: SA69-AAAA-A783-DE78-XXXX
  • Be sure you have or add your Keycode to your Online Console HERE
  • KEEP the computer online during the install to make sure it works correctly
  • Download a Copy Here (Best Buy Subscription PC users click HERE). Let us know if it is the Mac version you need.
  • Install with the new installer, entering your Keycode when prompted to do so in the install process
  • Let it finish it's install scan
  • Reboot 
and that should do the job.

However, before you uninstall the current version you should make sure that you export any password data that you may have storeed in the Password Manager, so that you can reimport it into the new standard version of WSA once installed.

2. In terms of Kaspersky Internet Security/Total Security, & WSA; you can certainly run both together...they should play well together (as WSA is designed from the ground up to be compliant with most other security apps) but I would ask as to why you would want the drag of running KIS when WSA is much lighter in terms of system resources and will give you as good if not better protection than KIS?

But the choice here is yours. ;)

Hope that helps?

Regards, Baldrick
Userlevel 2
Thanks for the really fast and detailed reply!

Quick clarification on the Download bullet point in your response. I do have the BestBuy version (appears to be Plus) that came with my computer, but want to upgrade to the Complete version now. Would I still download WSA from the 'BestBuy Subscription PC users click here' link you included if I want to buy through the PCMag link and buy a different version (Complete instead of Plus)?

And just to be sure, is a simple uninstall through Windows 10's 'Uninstall or change a program' in the Control Panel sufficient?

I guess the reason I was thinking of running both was that the reviews I have read seem to say that each has a slightly different set of advantages, and I most definitely want to keep WSA. Also, my hubby has a 3 year subscription to Kaspersky for 3 devices and is only using it on one, so it would be free to add it. I also want him to add WSA to his computer, as he seems to be constantly spending time getting rid of malware that Kaspersky misses.

Is Kaspersky the new Norton? I used to use Norton way back when...

Again, thanks so much!
Deb

Userlevel 7
Hi Deb

You are most welcome.

When you say that you have the BestBuy version (Plus) but want to upgrade to the Complete version, we need check as to whether the Best Buy version or the standard version of WSA. This is because Best Buy have their own version of WSA which you cannot upgrade via Webroot/you have to go through the Geek Squad.

If you have the Best Buy version (and as far as I know there is only ONE version that is a hybrid of Plus & Complete versions) you will see something similar to the below in the bottom lefthand corner of the main panel:

If that is the case & you want to subscribe to the Webroot (standard) Complete version then you will need to click on the "• Download a Copy Here" link rather than the Best Buy-related link, download the installer and run it once you have purchased the subscription for the Webroot (standard) Complete version via the PCMag link.

As for the uninstall you should be able to do that via the Windows 10 'Uninstall or change a program' in the Control Panel. If that does not work then do post back and we can help resolve that issue for you. But hopefully you won't need to.

I understand where you are coming from and certainly if KIS provides you with functionality that WSA does not then running both to get that functionality would seem like an obvious approach...but as I mentioned in my previous post...you will add drag to your system by running KIS as well. So it is a trade off...if you really must have the KIS functionality that is missing from WSA, and are willing to accept the additional drag on system resources then run both together...otherwise pick just one of them (my vote would be for WSA...of course...;).

As to whether Kaspersky is the new Norton? Well, that is a good one...and there will be differing opinions on that. All I will say is that neither are the new WSA...;).

Regards, Baldrick
Just an opinion from a happy user of Webroot. If you decide to renew the Webroot, which is a good idea, I like to deal directly with the maker of a product. Hence, I would renew directly from Webroot.

Secondly, I dropped both Norton and Kaspersky years ago in favor of Webroot. Webroot doesn't hog your computer nor does it take up a lot of space. With Webroot you can come here and participate...when I had Norton it took days for them to get back to me if I had a question or an issue.

Best 2-U in your decision.
Userlevel 2
Thanks again! I had thought you mentioned Norton in your first response, hence my question. But reading it again, I see that you did not! I must have confused a review of various programs I read with our conversation. I am not interested in Norton at all.

Thanks again for your detailed reply. Time to get myself upgraded. I will probably keep just WSA on my computer and have my hubby add it to his, as he has Kaspersky only.

And thanks, Robert - I agree that this forum and its amazing responders make purchasing Webroot an easy decision. Support is such a critical factor, and this board has been beyond expectations!

Deb

Userlevel 7
Hi Deb

Again, you are most welcome.

I am afraid that it is I who have been confusing you...I did indeed get confused, myself, and mention Norton in my first post...when you have not ( have used both in the past and run both with WSA). So, as not to confuse anyone reading the therad for the first time I adjusted my post to replace the erroneous Norton references with Kaspersky...and all I managed to do was to confuse you...which was not my intent.

So, you are correct and it is I who got confused...so my apologies. :$

Glad to hear that you are sticking with WSA...IMHO a wise move (and hopefully at some point soon your Husband will see the light...;).

Let us know how the upgrading goes and of course, should you have any issues with that then post back here and one of us will be happy to assist further.

Regards, Baldrick