Solved

Webroot and Norton 360

• 23 February 2013
  • 15 replies

Userlevel 1
Hi.  Because I had to clean up a couple of malware infections on my teenager's PC last year, I swtiched AV suppliers after reading PC Mag's reviews.   I decided that since WebRoot SecureAnywhere plays nice with other products to couple Norton 360 together with WebRoot SA as a two layer defense for that teenage PC.  Thus far, I can report good results as he's said WebRoot has blocked at least 2 downloads of game mods which infected his buddies systems.

I also excluded webroot from Norton 360 and vice versa and followed the pages posted about tuning webroot.

http://malwaretips.com/Thread-How-to-setup-Webroot-SA-alongside-another-Antivirus

However, periodically (about every week or two)  Norton 360 issues a message pop-up saying it has detected an incompatible product and do you want to remove it.

Any thoughts on this or how to make Norton really stop flagging WebRoot?  I've told him to just cancel out of it and so far it has left WebRoot alone but I'd like to really make it stop prompting. Thanks.

icon

Best answer by JimM 23 February 2013, 20:01

View original

15 replies

Userlevel 7
That complaint would unfortunately need to be raised to Norton.  This question comes up from time to time, and we've even made a knowledgebase article out of it, over here.  The trouble with such messages is that they are baseless, and they serve only as a marketing wedge.  If another company can convince you that you're running something that is incompatible with their software, you might just remove whatever it is they say is incompatible.  It's an interesting tactic - for a lot of people, they might get into a situation where they only have the resources available to pay for one solution.  If you have doubts about one of the solutions, you'll probably go with the one you have fewer doubts about.  If the doubts are grounded in reality, that's just good sense.  But these kinds of mysterious false doubts raised by such messages are not representative of a real problem.  In fact, they serve only to generate an unwarranted sense of worry.

At Webroot, we'll let you know you up front that you don't have to run WSA alongside another anti-virus program, but we're proud to have the technology to be able to run alongside other anti-virus programs.  This way if you choose to double down on your anti-virus protection, you won't end up in a situation in which our program and some other anti-virus program bicker over who quarantines what and when, which could easily result in a situation where neither program quarantines anything.  WSA anticipates the behavior of other anti-virus solutions and allows them to go first.  If they do nothing or not enough, then WSA steps in.

You could always address your concern with Norton, but based on how long we've been hearing about this complaint with their messaging, it's unlikely they'll choose to do anything about it.  If you hear back otherwise, we'd love to know!
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Hello skywalker and Welcome to the Webroot Community Forums.

Can you go into Advance Settings and uncheck this setting and that should solve your issue please let us know in a week or two! ;)

Thanks,

TH

Userlevel 1
Thank You both!  

Yes, my reasoning is with a teenager in the house, I am a bit more comfortable with multiple security layers - an approach often deployed to enhance security as in - multiple gateways, green, red, yellow zoning etc. These practices make it more difficult (though not impossible) to transverse them all.    My main approach is just in case one of the PC providers is attacked or disabled, the other is hopefully not like to fall as well.  Maybe that's wishful thinking but WebRoot's Real Time Cloud approach coupled with it playing nice with others gives me an option I'd not had before due to the many conflicts between products and vendors.

THANKS for finally offering a product which plays nice with others! 

I have turned off the setting regarding the Windows Action Center and will monitor. 

Thanks again for your excellent suggestions and support. 
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Your welcome and Jim is correct that WSA is designed to work with other AV's & AM's they just don't like playing nice and want to hog your system and make people worry for nothing! ;)

TH
Userlevel 6
What was it that Yogi Berra said:  "Deja vu all over again?"

I've gone down this very same road.  Not too long ago I installed Norton 360 2013 Premier on my Windows XP and Windows 7 machines.  I had used Norton for many years and this product was the latest install.  I like the Norton program but I was dismayed that, like Norton has done historically, it slowed down several of my functions, such as booting up, shutting down, loading desktop icons, opening word doc files, opening pdf files, and opening websites.

I heard about WSA by some fluke and decided to install it.  I kept Norton installed and then installed WSA along with it.  I wanted to do a comparison between the two to determine which I liked best.  I had heard that WSA played nicely with other A/V programs but Norton did not reciprocate.

I did not experience any problems running both programs.  However, every so often, I got an error message from Norton prompting me to uninstall Webroot.  I reported the problem to Norton tech and to Webroot tech and was advised to uninstall one program or the other since it is not a good idea to run two A/V programs simultaneously.  I ignored the advice.  As it turned out, the Norton error message was non-preemptive, meaning that nothing else happened to shut down WSA or create any other conflict.  I simply disregarded the error message and closed it.  The message would recur every now and then, but I continued to close it.

I wrote a detailed comparative analysis of the Norton and WSA products and published it on Amazon.  The analysis has been followed with considerable interest, not so much by WSA users, but by Norton users.  The review is still published on Amazon.  The bottom line of the review was that I liked both products, concluding that each had certain advantages and disadvantages. I gave both products five stars, which is Amazon’s top rating.

However, the pivotal problem I had with Norton was that it slowed things down.  Subliminally, I didn't like the idea that Norton does not play nicely with other programs.  These were the dispositive issues for me.

At or about that same time, I joined this site, and in my introduction, I wrote about this very problem, https:///t5/Introduce-yourself-to-the/New-To-This-Site/m-p/13784.  As time went on, I grew to like WSA more and more, and became more involved with this site.  Now, they can't get ride of me!  :D

I finally solved the problem of the Norton error messages.  The cure was simple:  I uninstalled Norton and now use WSA exclusively.

That, skywalker, is how you cure the problem!  :D  Welcome to the site!
Userlevel 6
Skywalker, you may want to do as I did.

1.  Uninstall Norton and go with WSA.

2.  Use a layered approach to malware.  This, from my review on Amazon:  "Malware Recommendation: I recommend that users of Norton and Webroot incorporate anti-malware software in their suite of internet security programs. In my opinion, anti-virus software, alone, is not sufficient to protect your machine; you need good anti-malware protection as well. Arguably, Webroot has good anti-malware protection in addition to its excellent anti-virus protection, but the company does not promote its anti-malware feature. Anti-malware software such as Malwarebytes or Super Anti Spyware are good choices. Freeware is available for both of these products. Neither of these products conflicts in any way with Norton or Webroot."

This works for me.

Good luck!
Userlevel 1
RWM, 
Oh yes on Malwarebytes too.  It is also on the teenager's pc as has never caused any conflicting issues with either Norton 360 or WRSA.   In fact I read several of those Amazon reviews!  Thanks!
Userlevel 7
I used to use Norton, but I found that it causes a major memory leak in Chrome and Firefox. Since I use a browser constantly for work, it became a serious issue.

To reproduce: open Chrome or Firefox. Use Norton's performance monitor and look at memory usage. Now use the browser for a while, going to new websites, etc. Be sure to keep your working tab open and do not close it. After a period of time, check memory usage again.

On multiple computers, I could get CHrome to use up to 1.5Gb before it would crash. Uninstalling Norton solved the problem. More specifically: I believe it to be an issue with Identity Safe.

Userlevel 1
TH,

I unchecked the "Show SecureAnywhere in the Windows Action Center" and we were good to go until this AM.  I got another pop-up from Norton about conflicting products and when I checked the box again, it had been "re-enabled".   So I disabled it again and I got a message pop-up about this install be centrally managed (from my WebRoot Account I assume) and that it could / would be reset the next time it communicates with central.  

I logged in and searched around but I did not see anything leaping our for how to set this "centrally" from My WebRoot Console for this install or as part of my overall account settings.   Any pointers?   Otherwise it looks like this may be only a very temp fix?

Thanks. 

Userlevel 7
Hi skywalker!

Can you please follow steps described in this thread? It should allow you to manage WSA settings from within WSA GUI and not centrally.

Userlevel 1
Thanks.  Done.  report back in a couple of weeks to see if it is change..  Cheers.
Userlevel 7
Thanks skywalker for the feedback.

If by any chance the issue occurred again please try to make a clean reinstallation of WSA. Providing that also this step won't be the final solution, please open Support Ticket to let Webroot engineers collect and look at your logs.
Userlevel 6
FYI...I used the Malware Tips procedure discussed, to run along side Avast IS 8 and absolutely light and smooth. I like AIS and WSA so much I decided to just run both. Thanks WSA!
Userlevel 1
Just reporing back in.   Nortion 360 tried to remove WR last week, so I went into the web console and did the "User Configuration" set / set described in the link and then went into the PC WR and set/reset the "Show in Action Center" in the advanced settings... (which was already NOT checked)  Will see if that fixes this.  Next attempt is to uninstall and reinstall WB per the thread.

Thanks.
Userlevel 7
Thanks for the update skywalker!  Let us know how it goes!