Webroot removed my user folder

• 19 April 2014
  • 3 replies

Somehow the removal of a "threat" removed my user folder with the contents of my picture folder, video folder, and music folder gone.  I'm on Windows 8 and my mail access is gone but when I go to the store and install the app, I am able to access it as if it is still there but when I search for the app or try to pin it to Start, I'm not able to.  The thing that concerns me most are my pictures.  Is there any way to recover the files?  Why was it deleted?

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Hello nsearch and welcome to the Webroot Community!

Are you sure that it was the removal of a threat that removed the entire contents of the folder and not the threat itself?  Did WSA identify which threat was removed at the time and which files were affected?  You might be able to find this through the threat log.  Open WSA, click on the 'gear tool' next to Utilities, click the Reports tab, and then click the Save Threats Log.  Make sure you note where it is saving the file to... I usually save files directly to the desktop for easy access.  Review the data to see if WSA itself removed the files.

I cannot say that I have ever seen behavior as described.  WSA does have a journaling function that allows it to undo changes done by malware.  The best way to utilize this would be to submit a Trouble Ticket, as this is a more advanced function than most users would be able to tackle on their own.

As for the inablility to locate and pin the mail app to Start, have you tried to do so when WSA is disabled?  Obviously you do not want to leave WSA disabled permanently, only long enough to try pinning the mail app to Start and then re-enable protection.
Thanks David. The loss of the contents coincided with the removal of the threat. I will see if I can save the report and then see what the report shows. When the threat was removed, it didn't mention removing those files so I was shocked to see them missing.
Userlevel 7
Badge +6
@ Open a ticket with Webroot support. The logging in the WSA product includes detailed file removal information that they should be able to read and figure out if WSA was somehow involved. 

I could help you on the forum, but the file format is something I can read but don't completely understand, and this is regarding actions on your personal files. You'd be best off working with Webroot support.

If you are desperate for additional information, I'd be happy to write up some quick instructions, just don't draw any conclusions based on the information.