Solved

Webroot system tray incomplete windows 8

• 11 June 2013
  • 9 replies

I have Webroot Secureanywhere Complete installed in Windows 8. 

I get no place in activating Backup and Sync because when right clicking on system tray the only options I have are: Secure Webrootanywhere and Unpin this program from Taskbar.  Therefore I cannot access the Main Interface as documented in the User's Guide.  Page 6 of the User's Guide describes a work around for a missing System Tray, but not for an incomplete one. 

By the way, the work around for a missing system tray involves loading it using the Windows Start command, which is notoriously missing in Windows 8. 

Thank you for any assistance.

Ctmsenior
icon

Best answer by RetiredTripleHelix 11 June 2013, 20:01

View original

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Hello Ctmsenior and Welcome to the Webroot Community Forums!

How about Double left Clicking the Tray Icon to open the GUI? Or on the Metro screen I have a Webroot SecureAnywhere Tile can you see if you have it there?

TH

Thank you for your reply TripleH. Double left clicking on the tray gives me the same as double right clicking, that is the Overview windows screen which summarizes security activty.

Yes, there is a tile for Webroot Secureanywhere in the metro interface but clicking on it takes me into win 8 desktop mode to the same window as does clicking on the tray. 

Left clicking on the tile indirectly offers an option to run the webroot executable in compatibilty mode (e.g. win 7), but I'm warned, in red, not run in that mode for antivirus software.

My windows 8 is up-to-date based windowsupdate.  As far as I can tell other functions than backup are running correctly.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
Thank you for your reply TripleH. Double left clicking on the tray gives me the same as double right clicking, that is the Overview windows screen which summarizes security activty.

Yes, there is a tile for Webroot Secureanywhere in the metro interface but clicking on it takes me into win 8 desktop mode to the same window as does clicking on the tray. 

Left clicking on the tile indirectly offers an option to run the webroot executable in compatibilty mode (e.g. win 7), but I'm warned, in red, not run in that mode for antivirus software.

My windows 8 is up-to-date based windowsupdate.  As far as I can tell other functions than backup are running correctly.
No don't do that, can you please uninstall reboot and download a fresh copy Here or if your using the Best Buy for subscription service and make sure you have a copy of your keycode as you will need during reinstalling and let it finish it's installing scan and please report back.

Thanks,

Daniel
OK Daniel, I uninstalled, rebooted, installed, was prompted for my key and the initial scan has completed successfully.  

I now have a screen saying I am protected with a pending 'continue'. 

ctmsenior
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
And did you continue? That finishes the install and the tray Icon should work normally and be able to open the GUI please report back!

Thanks,

Daniel
Userlevel 5
Daniel:
    I am running windows 7 my question is: How good is windows 8 to 7????  Is  worth to upgrade at this time or wait for the next new OS????
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
Daniel:
    I am running windows 7 my question is: How good is windows 8 to 7????  Is  worth to upgrade at this time or wait for the next new OS????
Hi Tony,

Well IMHO I love Win 7 x64 I use VMware Workstaion to run all OS's in VM's so I have both Win 8 Pro 32bit & 64bit it's OK but I really don't like it personally but we will see when they come out with the update to Windows 8.1 in the near future but I will not upgrade the only time I will use a new OS is when I buy a new Laptop by that time Windows 9 or 10 could be out? :D

Daniel
Thanks Daniel.  The contents of the tray didn't change after the reinstall.  However, through my ignorance those contents didn't matter.

I found what is apparently a very down level user's guide for webroot.  The user's guide is for build 8.0.1, my software is at 8.0.2.147.  A number of the panels in the user's guide were significantly  different than those I see during installation of Backup and Sync.  There was enough similarity to manage that portion of the install and it is working.

Is there an up to date User's Guide?  It would really help in installing and using this software.

ctmsenior

P.S.  to Tony.  I've used Win 8 for six months.  It is redically different than any previous windows.  Plus this coming release of 8.1 will not likely cure all the dissatisfaction with Windows 8.  It will require a new release.  Just Google 'Windows 8 reviews'.   
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Yes here is the online users guide for the 2013 versions: https://detail.webrootanywhere.com/agenthelp.asp?n=Installing_SecureAnywhere and if you have any other issues feel free to post back.

Regards,

Daniel 😉