When I try to unsubscribe to my junk mail I am redirected to a website for TINY.cc How do I fix it?

• 27 September 2015
  • 3 replies

?  I don't know what this is.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Hi tcaffarelli

Welcome to the Community Forums.

I have certainly not heard of this in the past but the use of URL shortening services do have the propensity for hacking, etc., although please bear in mind that I not NOT saying that you have been hacked.

What we need is a little more information in relation to exactly what you are seeing and when exactly it occurs, i.e., what do you do precisely prior to being redirected, etc.? Have you every used URL shortening services like Tiny.com?

Hopefully with a little more information we will be able to determine how to proceed in this case.

Regards, Baldrick
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Just to add that it is not advisable to click "unsubscribe" or click on anything in suspect, Spam emails. 
I was trying to find an exact link for the advice, but can't find it, so here is a quote which came from https://www.sans.org
via a University website:  

Here is some sound advice from SANS: Security Awareness Tip:
Don't click the "unsubscribe" link at the bottom of unsolicited emails
Spam filters are catching most unwanted e-mail, but some might still reach you. Most spam is designed to get you to respond with your own email or to click a link to "unsubscribe." When you respond or click the "unsubscribe" link, the sender takes your email address and adds it to a SPAM database of active email addresses. You might then start to receive a large amount of SPAM in your inbox. Do not respond or click the "unsubscribe" links.

Userlevel 7
Badge +36
If you Google Tiny.cc you will find out it is a utility/program to shorten URL's and it must have installed on your machine as a PUP (potentialy unwanted program) along with some other software.

What operating system of Windows are you using?