When using Skype, if my voice sounds like a chipmunk, could the cause be a virus?

I use Windows 10 and a logitech webcam. Recently, when speaking on Skype, my friend says i sound like a chipmunk.
Could the problem be a virus?

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Hi Newbie9

Welcome to the Community Forums.

I have to say that I have never heard of a virus doing that (and just that) and from some research undertaken I can find no reference to a virus behaving solely that way (and wonder as to what end anyone would produce such a piec eof malware). Do you have any other symptoms that might indicate the presence of malware on your system?

Also, have you done a scan with WSA? If not then pelase do so ASAP and post back withthe results. If you have and it has come up clean then I would say that you are OK. But if you still have doubts you could Open a Support Ticket and ask the Support Team. The service is free to users of WSA with an active subscription.

Regards, Baldrick 
Userlevel 2
I've used Discord, Mumble, Skype, Teamspeak, and Vent over the years and usually robot voice is caused from spotty internet connection or server. Check that first. Your problaby OK with malware, but if unsure...run a scan with < snipped as contrary to Community Guidelines>

UPDATE: Sorry, read the OP again. Chipmunk ...not sure. Robot voice in my experience is usually internet or voice server issues. We had an experience recently with Mumble and Discord. Usually the problem is temporary and effects a couple of us (not all). Problem goes away after bad weather...etc.

If you think it is the AV, you can try to disable...retest until you can narrow down the problem. Unfortunely sometimes you have to trail and error these things for a little while until you can narrow down what the problem is. I've never had an AV cause issues with voice servers. Depending on your computer (how powerful it is), most of the issues I've seen with AVs are slow downs (sluggishness) when multitasking. This problem is not as revelant anymore with more recent AVs, but of course this all depends on the speed of your computer.