Solved

Why do I need internet security for Mac?

• 24 February 2015
  • 6 replies

I am wondering why would I need to have internet security for my Mac? I have spoken with upper level Apple engineers and I have looked at their forums. It seems that from what I have heard and read that having internet security on a Mac does more harm than good.

On the other hand I have spoken to listened to other IT people and they have said the complete opposite. They feel that it is very foolish on the part of the Mac user not to have some from of internet security on their computers.

Both groups are very knowledgeable which makes the decision as to whether to install internet security on my Mac a most difficult one.

I certainly do not want to put some thing on my Mac that could possibly do more harm than good. On the other hand, I do want to be protected from potential threats.

Any unbiased feedback on this subject would be most appreciated.

Thanks,

Dave
icon

Best answer by Ssherjj 25 February 2015, 01:26

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Obviously we're going to be biased in favor of you having protection for your Mac :)

That being said, we do see Mac malware out there in the wild, so we know they exist.  Macs are a bit more secure by design since they are based on the mature BSD platform, but it's still possible to have malware.  Also phishing emails and sites don't discriminate by OS.  Anyone can be fooled by a fake email and click on a bad link, which we protect you from.

The good news is that we do run on Macs, and since we are a cloud-based AV and malware protection suite, it doesn't use up very many local resources to run.  Hope that helps!
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hello dwjones61,

Welcome to the Community Forum,

I've had the Apple Support tell me the same thing as you that Security on a Mac does more harm then good.

Don't believe for one minute. that your Mac doesn't need protection!

I've had Webroot Security on my Mac since November of 2013 and that was the best move I've ever done.

The Macs are becoming  more vulnerable to attacks of viruses,threats, PUAs, more then ever before.

We have a @ who is the Mac Threat Researcher of Webroot and deals with Mac threats everyday and @ is a also one of our members who runs Webroot Beta tester as well as Webroot SecureAnywhere Complete on all of his Mac systems. Webroot Security is light and fast and doesn't interfer with your system whats so ever. I don't even know it's running. But I do know I'm protected!! Also why has Apple issued so many patches over the last year or so fi we are so protected!

I can name a 100 threats or more for the Mac if you'd like.There;s the Genieo threat that's becoming popular and many many more. Webroot even protects you from Keyloggers and much more.  Not sure if I can name them all since this could be a secuirty issue for Webroots Support, Please have a look at the Mac User Guide here.

Webroot WIN Cloud does all the work not your PC: http://www.brightcloud.com/platform/webroot-intelligence-network.php

I'd advise you to check out the reviews by Google or Amazon  or PC World. online for Webroot on a Mac. Here is information about the products that Webroot offers, 

For the Mac product here

There are other Security AVs, But Webroot is far the best IMO and you get free technical support where as you get that no where else on this planet. The Support Team is dedicated to their customers! I di not work for Webroot I am just a fan!

I was a victim of an attack and had to take my Mac into Best Buy and they found an a virus and it turned out I had to replace my HD. Which needed it anyways. My Mac was threatened and I will always be greatful that I found Webroot to secure my Computer. I do not have to worry or stress as much anymore with all the protection that I get from Webroot. I'm only a Webroot Volunteer who believes in Webroot and I believe Webroot is the way of the future for all PC and Macs and mobile devices!

It's not a nice world out there in cyberspace and we have to protect ourselves anyway we can!

So in the long run this is only my opinion as a satisfied Mac user running WSAC!

Hope that helps!

Kind Regards.

Userlevel 7
Hello dwjones61,
My name is Devin Byrd and I am one of Webroots Threat Research Analyst however I am specialized in working on Mac security.  I was once a firm believer in the notion that macs did not get viruses and my brother who also works here would argue with me about it day in and night.  It wasnt untill I actually got one that made me change my mind on it.  There are much more viruses out there for pc users but there is also a growing field of malware for Mac users.  I have been researching mac malware now for quite some time and now that I am aware of what is out there I will not be going security free.  I have included most (but not all) of the familys, some of these have multiple names so the full list is kinda crazy long. 

Able Keylogger
AceSpy Keylogger
Agent Bob keylogger
Amac Keylogger
Amphimix
Any Keylogger for Mac
Aobo Keylogger
AppleScript.THT
ArcadeYum
AutoStart
Award Keylogger for Mac
BackTrack keylogger
BadBunny
Baoba
BlackHole RAT
Boonana
Bruta.gift
Bundlore
CallMe
CarbonKeys
Careto
Cdef
Chatzum
Chatzum
Chinatalk
Chromivnc
Clapzok
ClickAgent
Code252
Conduit
Corepref
Cowhand
Crisis
CrossRider
Dcom
Defma
DevilRobber
DiaboMiner
DNSChanger
Dockster
DRPU Mac Log Manager
DutyWatch
DutyWatch Remote
EICAR
Elite Keylogger
eWatch
EZmal
FavDonw
FileCoder
FileSteal
Findcall
FinFisher
Firesheep
FKCodec
Flag
FlashBack Trojan Horse
FreeMacKeylogger
Freezer
Genieo
GetShell
GoPhoto-it
GrimReceiper
HackBack
HellRaiser
HolyWarDialer
Horbioncan
Hovdy
Imuler
iMunizator
Init29
Inqtana
Instant Access Dialer
Invisible Oasis
iServices
iWorm
Jacksbot
Janicab
Java.Minesteal
KeyBag
Keybag Pro
Keyboard and Mouse Recorder
Keyboard Spy
KeyCaptor
KeyStroke
Keystroke Recorder
Keystroke Spy
KeystrokeRecorder X
KeystrokesWatch
Kidlogger
KitM
Koobface
Krowi
Lamadai
Lamzev
LaoShu
Last Resort
Leap
Leverage
LogKext
Loosemaque
Lose Lose
MAC Defender
Mac Keyboard Recorder Pro
Mac Log Manager
Mac Remote Control
Macarena
MacBooster
MacControl
MacDefender
MacKeeper
MacLifeInsurance
MacMag
MacShopPro
MacSweeper
Malijava
Mbdf
mdef
Mechbot
Monitorer
Monitorer X
MonitorerX Pro
MPlayerX
MW2004
NationBar
NetWeird
Niqtana
Nvir
NVP
Okaz Installer
Olyx
OpenCandy
Opener
OpinionSpy
OS9vnc
OSX/CoinThief
OSX/WireLurker
OSXvnc
Peeping Tom
Perfect Keylogger
Perfect Keylogger Lite
Pintsized
PokerStealer
Portassult
Qhosts Trojan Horse
Refog Keylogger
Refog Personal Monitor
Renepo
Revir
RSPlug
Rubilyn
Sabpab
Scores
Screenshots Remote
SearchMe
Sevendust
Shellbot
Simpsons
Slordu
SMSSend
SniperSpy
Spector
Spector Pro
SpellCatcherX
Spigot
Spy
SpyMe
Spyware.Unix.Mech
Subseven
Super Save
T4.D
TakeDown Suite
Termite
Tetracycle
TextMeleon
TextTrap
Tibet
TIFF Vulnerability
Tored
TorntvV10
Tsunami
TuneUpMyMac
Tweesh
TypeAgent
TypeRecorder
TypeRecorder X
TypeSaver
UnderHand
Ventir
VSearch
Walrus
Wdef
WeaponX
Whitesmoke Trojan Horse
Xover
XSLCmd
YahooFlooder
Yontoo
ZUC

So as you can see, there are a lot of threats out there for mac users as well.  I hope that this is the information that you needed.  Please feel free to reach out to me if you have any questions.

Thanks,

Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Thank you Wanderingbug!

I wasn't sure I could post that or not!:D
Thanks for all the feedback. It has been enlightening and most helpful

I am however curious as to why your Mac version of SecureAnywhere does not contain a firewall? Does it have anything to do with the fact that there is already a built in firewall?

Dave

Userlevel 7
Badge +62
@ wrote:
Thanks for all the feedback. It has been enlightening and most helpful

I am however curious as to why your Mac version of SecureAnywhere does not contain a firewall? Does it have anything to do with the fact that there is already a built in firewall?

Dave

Hi Dave,

Yes Mac has a built in Firewall as shown in the Apple Support .