Windows 10 Anninversary Update

• 28 August 2016
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +19
I have two Dell xps 8700 pcs. I updated the one pc to the Windows 10 Anniversary Update. It seemed to go OK. Afterwards, I used the PC for about an hour. When I went to shut down, I was surprised to see there was already an update. (Why was I surprised?) I selected Update and Shutdown which I have done many times in the past. Then I updated the other pc. It seemed to go OK. I used the PC for about 2 hours. Next morning I used that same PC for about 3 hours. Then I tried to open Corel Painter 2017 and it got stuck. Tried it a second time and it got stuck. I thought what the heck. I just bought this program. Then I decided I should restart to see if that fixed the issue. When I restarted, I saw that Windows updates were being installed. I thought "I should have known." Every time programs start acting squirrelly, I find out that Microsoft has installed something that required a reboot but failed to tell me.

The system restarted several times, had the black screen with the spinning dots for a long while and then the cave picture came up. I clicked and got the login in screen. I started to enter my password. The screen froze after I entered one letter and after a few seconds, it restarted. Then the same thing happened again. And then again maybe 5 times and then it went to a black screen that said Starting Automatic Recovery. Then immediatedly it went to a pale blue screen that said that the following file

WRkrn.sys was either missing or corrupt and that I needed a disk or a systems administrator.

I wasn't sure if I had created a recovery disk or where it was if I had, so I ran to the other pc that I had Updated and shut down thinking I could create a recovery disk there. But when I turned it on, it went through the same gyrations and ended with the exact same failure.

I called Microsoft and they kept wanting me to start in safe mode, but neither system would. Finally they had me create an iso image. When I booted from that, it said that it appears I was in the middle of an update and that I should select YES to end this and continue with the update or select NO to install and keep my files but lose my apps. I did notice at the bottom of the screen that there was a recovery option so I went there. But none of the options I tried worked. Finally I restored both PCs using Macrium backups.

I didn't realize the WRkrn.sys might be a Webroot file until somebody on the Dell forum pointed it out. So what does this mean? Did Webroot cause the update to fail? Or did Microsoft fail to create files necessary to recover the PC if anything went wrong thus the file was missing.

And if Webroot needs to be shut down before an update is applied, how can I deal with this. Most of the time Microsoft doesn't even tell you they are installing updates. You don't find out until you shut down.

I opened the help thread that I have with Webroot and I asked about this, but I'm not sure if they got the message, as I didn't get the usual "We'll be in touch soon." I saw after I submitted that there was a button to ALLOW COOKIES. I didn't press it until after I submit the quesiton. Maybe that's why.

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
I have no issues such as this on my 2 Laptops and 2 VM's so it's hard to say unless you contact Webroot support and ask them to look into it.

https://community.webroot.com/t5/Techie/Windows-10-1st-Anniversary/td-p/262619

https://community.webroot.com/t5/Security-Industry-News/Cumulative-update-for-Windows-10-Version-1607-August-23-2016/td-p/265037

Daniel
Userlevel 7
Very much the same here, Daniel, no such issues to report nor any others for that matter. ;)
Userlevel 5
Badge +19
Well, I went back and tried to submit the request again and this time I made sure to accept cookies and this time I got a number back, so I believe it has been submitted now.

So how did you do the update? Did you let Microsoft push the update out to you, which is what I did? Or did you create iso media to update? And did you turn off Webroot before you started the update? Or even uninstall it?

Also, it didn't seem to be the Anniversary update that caused the issue. It was the update that they pushed out hours later. It went through several reboots and had those spinning dots for a long time. Long enough to make you wonder if something was wrong. And then it went to the cave scene. I clicked on the cave scene and the login prompt came up. Then when I tried to enter my password it froze and rebooted. Maybe it wasn't done. Did you wait for a while? If so, how long? And how am I suppose to know that it isn't done, if the login screen comes up.

Seems odd that I got the error and everything on both machines.

Thanks.
Userlevel 7
Hi Kev914

I let Windows Update take the strain, so to speak, with the overall update taking just over an hour to download & install. WSA remained installed and did not give even a squeak at the download & install process...which is what I was expecting.

No real waiting...after a small number of reboots the welcome screen appeared requesting sign on, which I did and 'presto'...job done! There have since been one or two further minor updates which have all gone well...so not really sure as to the source of your issue.

Have you tried rolling back to a previous state, assuming that you were indeed upgrade (but incompletely or improperly), uninstalling WSA and then trying to run the upgrade again?

Regards, Baldrick
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
Hi Kev914

I let Windows Update take the strain
Regards, Baldrick
Same and it only took 35 to 40 minutes here.
Userlevel 5
Badge +19
Just wanted to update...

Got the Anniversary update again today without any warning. There was just an update that I needed to install. When it took so long, I figured it was the update. And I hoped it would be different this time. But it started out the same way. A freeze and reboot when I entered one letter of my password.

But it looks like I figured it out.

I wondered if I could be the Microsoft wireless keyboard. I figured that was absurd. But I figured I would try a wired keyboard just to confirm to myself that it made no difference.

So after the first freeze and restart, I plugged in the Dell wired keboard that came with the computer.

And do you know what,...

I was able to log in without any problem. The first time I tried it with a dfferent account and that was successful. Then I went back to my normal account and that worked with the wired keyboard, but not the Microsoft wireless keyboard.

I think I even confirmed that it was the wireless keyboard. I had Firefox open after successfully logging and I forgot and started typing on the wireless keyboard and as soon as I typed one letter, the screen froze and the PC rebooted.

And this has been happening on two different Dell PCs. They both had Microsoft wireless keyboards and mice, but not the same model. But it appears the same problem. I'll know soon enough, as it looks like they are pushing out the updates.
Hi Kev914,

Yes, there have been reports here in the Community regarding Microsoft wireless keyboards, Windows 10, and Webroot.
Please have a look at this Webroot Article concerning this.

Thanks,
BD