Windows 10 Upgrade Decision

• 28 July 2016
  • 4 replies

I must decide whether to maintain Windows 7 or upgrade to Windows 10.

I have a three-year-old Lenovo Thinkpad with Windows 7 (64 bit) and Webroot SecureAnywhere.  I read another post which indicated that Windows 10 and Windows 8 include an integrated firewall which does not allow the Webroot SecureAnywhere Firewall to function.  I am happy with my current PC/OS/Webroot system and I lean toward maintaining Windows 7 rather than upgrade to Windows 10, but I haven't made a final decision.

I am interested in Webroot's advice and reader's advice about whether I should maintain Windows 7 / Webroot versus upgrade to Windows 10 / Webroot as it relates to the firewall issue or any other issue.  Im primarily interested in which system will be more secure.

Thank you.  

4 replies

My older HP computer ran on Windows 7 and had Webroot . Last Month when that older computer bit the dust, I purchased a new HP which now runs Windows 10. I transferred the 200+ days I had left on Webroot over to the new computer and there was no problems what so ever. All the information I had on the older computer was successfully transferred over to the new one without a hitch.
On a side note....I really liked the Windows 7 format and for the first few weeks detested Windows 10. I'm not much of a computer kinda guy and don't take to kindly to change but even though 10 takes some getting used to, I'm beginning to like it even more than 7.
Userlevel 7
Badge +54
Hi and welcome to the Community ?
I upgraded my main computer from W 8.1 to W10 last year and about a month ago I did a clean install of W10 on this laptop. Both times it went without a hitch, but if you do upgrade it is highly recommend you do a full a full back-up or create an image of your current system in case something does happen. Like I said though I had no hitches at all and the process took about 1 1/2 hours.
One of my friends who had W7 came to me and asked me to upgrade his for him, that too was painless despite him worrying about it, I did say to him though it would be fine and he would like W10. After about an hour of using it he admitted that he loved it, another success story.
Userlevel 3
Hi fellow forum newbie :D

I had the very same predicament a while back. Was happy with Windows 7 for quite some time...and was one of the high percentage of Windows OS users who stubbornly refused an upgrade for a while. It wasn't because I didn't like Windows 10. There were two reasons. Every new product requires some sort of bug fixes/patches and I wanted to see what became of that before diving in. Second is a software consideration. I'm not sure what you have running on your PC, but some stuff--as much as you'd want it to be--isn't compatible (yet) and could be impacted.

I finally said yes to Windows 10 and haven't regretted it. ❤️

Kate
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
Hi fellow forum newbie :D

I had the very same predicament a while back. Was happy with Windows 7 for quite some time...and was one of the high percentage of Windows OS users who stubbornly refused an upgrade for a while. It wasn't because I didn't like Windows 10. There were two reasons. Every new product requires some sort of bug fixes/patches and I wanted to see what became of that before diving in. Second is a software consideration. I'm not sure what you have running on your PC, but some stuff--as much as you'd want it to be--isn't compatble (yet) and could be impacted.

I finally said yes to Windows 10 and haven't regretted it. ❤️

Kate
Kwel I have been testing every Pre-Release before Windows 10 ever came out and never regretted it! :D

Daniel