Solved

Windows Update conflict?

• 11 February 2013
  • 8 replies

I've been using WSAC uneventfully for 5 or 6 months, and I've just discovered that Windows Update has been disabled on my PC and can't find a way to get it back on again. Is there likely to be any connection between WSAC and Windows Update being disabled? Any conflict between the two? I'm just trying to eliminate possibly causes so I can find a fix.
icon

Best answer by JimM 12 February 2013, 21:53

View original

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Hello rileyc and welcome to the Webroot Community!

Disabling Windows updates is usual behaviour of malwares, are you sure that your PC is clean? Did you run WSA scan today? Did you notice another anomalies on your PC?

Sorry to scare you but WSA usually doesn't conflict with Windows updates.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Hello rileyc and Welcome to the Webroot Community Forums.

No Webroot SecureAywhere does not do anything that would affect Windows update. Can you tell us what is your OS and if it's 32bit or 64bit?

TH
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
You can try this Microsoft Fixit to see if it helps? http://support.microsoft.com/mats/windows_update/

TH
Yes, I'm a bit worried about possible virus/trojan/malware causes too, particularly since my problems first started a couple of days ago when IE suddenly started having problems loading any websites with content more complex than simple HTML. Sites work fine in Chrome but not in IE, and when I started investigating why that's when I noticed the problem with Win Update. Webroot is on all the time and scans my system daily and has apparently never found a single threat, so if there is an infection it's got past WSAC. I've never run System Cleaner so it can't be related to that.

I'm on W7 Home Premium SP1, 64bit. I've no idea how long Win Update has been disabled because it won't even show me update history, can't get any access to Win Update at all.

PS I've tried the MS Fixit and that couldn't resolve the problem.
Userlevel 7
Please open Support Ticket and Webroot folks will take a look what's going on.
Userlevel 7
As has been mentioned earlier on in this thread, sometimes Windows Updates could be disabled by an infection - particularly certain strains of ZeroAccess.  If one of those infections was present and dealt with already prior to installing Webroot SecureAnywhere, you may be sufferring from a leftover ill-effect of an already removed infection.  We have a tool that can help with that kind of issue.  It will check to see if certain key Windows services are disabled and try to re-enable them for you.  That tool is available here.  In the event the tool fails to re-enable a disabled service, it could be indicative that there is still an infection present (though it is by no means a conclusive indicator since it could just be issues with Windows itself).  In which case, it would be prudent to open a support case to allow our malware removal engineers to check for any possible infection.

I hope this helps!
Windows 10 did an update last night, and this morning the laptop keeps restarting, then webroot asked there is a program that wants to be added to the startup menu ?
Userlevel 7
Hi Christo

Welcome to the Community Foums.

It is quite plausible that after a Windows update new MS programs need to start. But just to be sure cann you lets us know what the application/program concerned was? If you let us know we can look to advise if this safe or not.

Regards, Baldrick