Solved

Windows Updates Cause BSoD on 2 Win. XP Computers

• 13 February 2013
  • 12 replies

Userlevel 7
I ❤️ Patch Tuesdays.

Computer #1
Downloaded MS updates. While installing updates on the 4th update I got a BSoD and had to shut down. Started computer and installed the remaining updates. (12 updates total). I'm running Backup & Sync on this computer. Check Backup & Sync before doing updates and both were on. After the BSoD, Sync was turned off. Running WSAC Beta on this computer.

Computer #2
On my second XP machine all MS updates downloaded. After hitting the restart to install button seen BSoD. Computer restarted. All updates were successful (8 updates total) MS warning window popup about the BSoD. Running WSAC 8.0.2.96 on this computer.

Sending Support Ticket and Logs on Computer #1.
Looks like WSA blocked process from accessing protected data; C:Program FilesMicrosoft HardwareMouse.
As for the Sync on computer #1, I know how to turn it back on but I'll leave it off until hearing from Support.

No problems with MS Updates on Win 7 Computer.

Happy Patch Tuesday! :D

icon

Best answer by ProTruckDriver 14 February 2013, 02:31

View original

12 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
No problem here on Win 7 x64 but to bad your getting BSOD on XP. :S

TH
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
No problem here on Win 7 x64 but to bad your getting BSOD on XP. :S
 I didn't have any problems either on Win 7 x 64. Both XP computers are working good. We'll see what Support finds in the logs and I'll update the post.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
This is what I got when I updated my XP SP3 VM.

TH

Userlevel 7
Yep, that's what I seen on both of my XP computers. I checked the MS Forum and couldn't find anything related to the BSoD and todays updates.
Userlevel 7
No problems on Vista Business 32-bit too. It seems the BSOD relates only XP.
Userlevel 7
Reply from Support:

Hello,

Thank you for your report. After analyzing the automatically attached logs, we have white-listed the unknown processes which SecureAnywhere had been monitoring on your system.

We ask that you run a new scan of your computer now (click "Scan My Computer" in the Overview window of SecureAnywhere). Please let us know if the same issue persists after this scan.

Regards,

The Webroot Threat Research Team

I have sent Support logs from my second computer to compare results, since both computers were running different versions of WSA at the time of the BSoD. Sorry I didn't have time to send second computer logs yesterday had to travel.
Userlevel 7
Thanks PTD for the update.

Considering that the BSOD has been resolved by whitelisting of the unknown processes I wonder why the issue did not occur on Win7 and Vista. Anyway as a Vista user I am not complaining for not having the BSOD :D Hope the whitelisting resolves the BSOD for all XP machines.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
I sent Joe the minidump from my XP VM last night but he has not replied because it was very late so hopefully he can find out what happened?

TH
Userlevel 7
Update from Support today:

Hi Dave,

We have been working closely with Joe today on this XP BSoD issue and a new WSA build will be going out tonight to prevent it going forward. Thank you very much for gathering and sending us all the data from your systems and helping us find a solution so quickly.

Best regards,

The Webroot Threat Research and Escalation Team
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Thanks for the update ProTruckDriver so a new build again. 😉 I just checked and v8.0.2.109 is out.

TH
Userlevel 7
Looks like version 109 is a good fix. Both XP computers are working good. 😉
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
Looks like version 109 is a good fix. Both XP computers are working good. ;)
Thank you for the update!