c Programming

• 11 October 2013
  • 2 replies

Badge +1
I am compiling C Programs and when I try to run the program I am asked to allow that program access.  I have to do that everytime I recomple and execute my program.

I would like to be able to allow all programs in a given directory to have access to run and still keep my monitoring of untrusted programs active.

Can I exclude a directory from being monitored for program excution?

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Based on the age and popularity of the file, it's likely that heuristics is catching it.  If you disable heuristics, that should stop the warnings.  That's the only way around the issue at this time.

The subject of whitelisting a folder has been discussed at length here, here, and here.  It's not something we're looking to do at this time.  To summarize the other topics, if we did that, it could result in weaker protection and provide an avenue for certain kinds of infections to get onto the system undetected.  The lesser of two evils is disabling heuristics.  Dev boxes are always going to be prone to set off heuristics flags because of the newness of the files that appear on them.
Badge +1
Great thanks for the tip. I agree with your solution. I would rather stronger protection rather than to inconvence me on allowing a file to execute each time I recompile the program. Not really that big of a deal when I want the WebRoot protection -- to save me from possible leaks in my pc security.

Thanks much for your posting.