Solved

how to remove old device from console & replace with newer one

• 22 October 2016
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 4
I hope I am in the right spot here.  I just renewed my Webroot protection and wanted to remove my old tablet from the console and replace it with my new laptop.  I don't know how to do this.  Also the laptop information stated that when I turn it on it will be automatically protected by McAfee for, I believe a month, at which point I have the option to accept or refuse their protection. Of course I am sticking with Webroot but I didn't know if it would be wise to try to add my device to Webroot at the same time McAfee is on it too.  I don't know if this could cause problems or mess up the laptop.  I don't know if i should wait til the trial period is over. I am anxious to turn on my new laptop but I wanted to make sure I don't damage something somehow.  Any advice or help you can give me will be very appreciated.  I would like to add that I am a senior and with that in mind, please explain anything I have to do as simply as possible.  Thank you very much.  

icon

Best answer by notpcwise 27 October 2016, 17:32

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Hi notwisepc

I can understand your impatience to get to use your new piece of kit...who would not in the circumstances.

So, in response to your questions:

1. Remove old device from the console

You just need to deactivate the old device in the console. All instruction on how to do this can be found in this KB Article.

2. McAfee; to remove or not

There is no need to remove McAfee as WSA and it will play well together but as you are decided on sticking with WSA then all that McAfee will do is add drag to your system. So you can uninstall it bit it can be notoriously difficult to uninstall and if that is the case then you will need to download the official Removal Tool from HERE

3. McAfee; wait for trial period expiry or not

Personally I would uninstall now...it should not cause a mess up...but if concerned bby the above then make sure that you image your new machine...there is functionality built into Windows to allow you to do that, that if you do not have a recovery disk or partition on the hard disk that you can use to recover if something goes wrong.

Well, hope that helps? But if you have further questions then please post back.

Regards, Baldrick
Userlevel 4
Hi Baldrick, please excuse my bad spelling....I am ready to blame it on my cat 🙂  Please excuse my not getting back quicker, but I am ready to blame it on my age (I knew it would one day be good for something 🙂 All joking aside I very much appreciate your taking the time to advise me.  And I believe I am good to go now!!  By the way, my laptop is working great and I am carefully re-reading my McAfee removal procedure, believe me if anybody can mess things up it will be me.  But again thanks to you I don't feel panicked about removing it.  I hope I can give you kudos now...(I didn't know if I should do that before I thanked you or if it is ok to do it afterwards...)  Hope you have a wonderful day!!!
Userlevel 7
Hi notpcwise

Glad to hear that I could be of assistance...that is good to know and that thing are running smoothly for you and your new 'baby'.

Well done for reading the Removal Utility instructions before use. BTW, I would also recommend that before use you make sure that you have created a System Restore point just in case the worst does happen...then all you need to do is to revert to the Restore Point and you should be good to try again.

There is no rule as to if & when one may give kudos (other than one cannot given them to oneself...;)) but apart from that you have discretion on that score. Let us know how the removal pans out as and when you decide to get rid of McAfee.

All the best, and hope to see you around.

Regards, Baldrick