Solved

pricing for renewal.

strange how you want to charge me £68:49 for the same deal i have, but to start again its only £48:49...
icon

Best answer by ProTruckDriver 17 May 2017, 16:08

View original

12 replies

Userlevel 7
Hi mac1

This often happens and with other companies for other products; one can often buy cheaper from a 3rd party than directly from the company producing the product. ;)

Regards, Baldrick
Userlevel 7
Badge +36
Well, I for one don't believe this should be occuring......................not if you wish to retain your user base!
Userlevel 7
Hi Lyle

I don't think that this affects the retention of the user base as the punters already have the product when they renew...but rather it affects the proportion of the revenue that flows directly to Webroot. ;)

And if memory serves I believe that Nic mention previously that Webroot were actively reviewing the position in this are.

Regards, Baldrick
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
It's one of those unfortunate sales strategies that works even though it has to capitalize on the lack of rationality of shoppers.  You get someone to start using a product with a discount, and then rely on inertia to keep them paying at a higher price.  The really price-conscious shoppers will just look for deals every year anyway, but they are in the minority.  JCPenny tried doing away with it and their sales dropped like a rock:
http://www.forbes.com/sites/panosmourdoukoutas/2013/09/27/a-strategic-mistake-that-haunts-j-c-penney/#83b542c3a6c8

Even though it's stupid and we all know better, we have to do it because it works.
Userlevel 7
Badge +36
mac1...................I sent you a personal message!
I've had Webroot for one year. It is good. (Not noticably differenent from MacAfee but good). Webroot has been prompting me to renew, but I will not for $39 or $59. I'll switch back to macafee for their special rate of $19.99.  Then, tonight I found Webroot for $18.99 so I bought it with my VISA card (my bank thankfully will stop payment for me if I ask them to). I copied and pasted my new product key, and webroot won't let me launch the install file. Instead, it redirects me to a page to RENEW AT A HIGHER PRICE. No thank you. Either I will renew at the $18.99 price I bought with my Visa card tonight, or I will purchase MacAfee for $19.99 and uninstall Webroot. (I just hope Webroot doesn't make it hard to uninstall their software - at this point I'm very skeptical.) I will contact my Visa bank tomorrow if need be.  Any helpful ideas? Thanks.
Userlevel 3
Badge +3
I, too, find their renewals too expensive online and normally go to eBay.  If you can't get the new keycode to work I'd suggest uninstalling Webroot and reinstalling.  I had to do this recently and it took about 5 minutes including registering and the first scan.

BitDefender took me about 90 minutes to download and install.

I find Webroot Tech Support (by email) very good and quite quick - less than a day.  Mc Afee does not offer the best protection today, see the reports on https://www.av-test.org/en/
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
I've had Webroot for one year. It is good. (Not noticably differenent from MacAfee but good). Webroot has been prompting me to renew, but I will not for $39 or $59. I'll switch back to macafee for their special rate of $19.99.  Then, tonight I found Webroot for $18.99 so I bought it with my VISA card (my bank thankfully will stop payment for me if I ask them to). I copied and pasted my new product key, and webroot won't let me launch the install file. Instead, it redirects me to a page to RENEW AT A HIGHER PRICE. No thank you. Either I will renew at the $18.99 price I bought with my Visa card tonight, or I will purchase MacAfee for $19.99 and uninstall Webroot. (I just hope Webroot doesn't make it hard to uninstall their software - at this point I'm very skeptical.) I will contact my Visa bank tomorrow if need be.  Any helpful ideas? Thanks.
Hello sarahdavid,

Please try a CLEAN Uninstall /Reinstall and add your new Keycode when asked. Buy renewing this way you will have to contact Support to transfer your Password Manager (if you are using Password Manager).

Please follow the steps closely!

• Make sure you have a copy of your 20 Character Alphanumeric Keycode! Example: SA69-AAAA-A783-DE78-XXXX
  • KEEP the computer online for Uninstall and Reinstall to make sure it works correctly
  • Download a Copy Here (Best Buy Subscription PC users click HERE) Let us know if it is the Mac version you need.
  • Uninstall WSA and Reboot
  • Install with the new installer, enter your Keycode and do NOT import any settings if offered by the installer as you can set it up as you like once it's done
  • Let it finish it's install scan
  • Reboot once again
Please let us know if that resolves your issue? If not then Please Submit a Support Ticket and they will help you sort your issue!

HTH,
Dave.;)
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
I, too, find their renewals too expensive online and normally go to eBay. 
Hello mross, Welcome to the Webroot Community Forum.:D

Please be careful buying Webroot from eBay. There have been many people buying already used keycodes from eBay. I would suggest to stay away from eBay. ;)
Userlevel 3
Badge +3
It's fine if you choose a seller with a good reputation. I have done this for my last, two renewals and saved a fortune. I paid £16.49 for three devices. That's roughly $21.
@ wrote:
It's fine if you choose a seller with a good reputation. I have done this for my last, two renewals and saved a fortune. I paid £16.49 for three devices. That's roughly $21.
Hi mross,

Welcome to the Webroot Community. :)

Like you said, if you know of a reputable seller, ebay is ok (I have done this myself). I would just caution against purchasing the 'Best Buy' version of Webroot from ebay or anywhere other than Best Buy. Unlike the stand-alone version of Webroot, the Best Buy version is activated at the time of purchase. A seller may get a copy free with the purchase of a laptop and then resell it on ebay if they won't need or use it. Depending on how long the seller's copy has been sitting around, one could end up purchasing a copy of Webroot with just a fraction of the expected year-long subscription, or worse, completely expired. I know ebay offers protections against bad purchases but you could end up waiting weeks for a refund.

Just thought I'd mention this since this has happened to a number of people who've purchased Webroot on ebay or from other third-party sellers. ;)

I purchased my last license for Webroot from a reputable online computer parts retailer. With a coupon code I was able to purchase a one year, 5 device WSA Complete subscription for $14.99. :D

Cheers,

BD
Userlevel 7

GREAT point, @