"Warning: unresponsive script"

Userlevel 1
For several days now I've constantly gotten a pop-up when trying to post on Facebook that says "Warning: unresponsive script." My laptop has also seemed to sloooow down. So I took it to a local computer repair store. But the problem remains. Internet articles say the problem could be Webroot's Spy Sweeper, or perhaps somerthing else. Yet I don't want to risk a virus, etc., and I have no idea if I even have "Spy Sweeper" as part of my Webroot protection. I'm not a "techie" AT ALL so I have no Earthly idea how to resolve this very frsutrating problem! Thanks for any help!

11 replies

Hello  ?,

Welcome to the Webroot Community.

Webroot Spy Sweeper is an older product that has been discontinued. If you have Webroot installed it would be Webroot SecureAnywhere. Your interface should look like this;

?

I don't believe Spy Sweeper is still supported. But you may find the following links useful:

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/warning-unresponsive-script

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/troubleshoot-extensions-themes-to-fix-problems

Hope this info helps,

bd

Userlevel 1
Thanks. Yes, my interface looks like this. Your links are too "techie" for me so I'll print them and take them with me to my computer repair store (again) in the morning...sigh.

Thanks again!
Hi ?,

Thanks for the reply. Sorry about the links being too techie. :)

If you ARE using Firefox you could try the "Refresh Firefox" option.  The refresh feature fixes many issues by restoring Firefox to its default state while saving your essential information like bookmarks, passwords, and open tabs.

It's super-easy. Just go to this link and click the "Refresh Firefox" button.

Hope this info helps,

bd

Userlevel 1
Unfortunately that did not work. Thanks anyway for your help...I really appreciate it!
Userlevel 7
Hi slongcrier

Welcome to the Community Forums.

If I may just add to BD's excellent advice...have you tried uninstalling Firefox, rebooting & then downloading and installing a fresh copy...it is a relatively easy task to undertake and may just resolve the issue for you?

Regards, Baldrick
Userlevel 1
Baldrick,

Thanks for your suggestion. Unfortunately I'm a total "techie" novice. I would not want to try such for fear of making a bad situation much worse. I'm going to return to the computer repaur store later this morning.
Userlevel 7
Hi slongcrier

No worries, it is very easy to do.

Navigate over to this site if US based or this site if UK based and click on download link (you should not be asked to make or offered options as part of the downloadd process, but if you are then you should read them carefully and uncheck any that you are unsure about).

Once you have the download on your system click on the Start Menu and type 'Add or remove programs' into the search field at the bottom and select the option with that description in the search results list.

Once you have opened the Add or Remove Program applet (it will open in a new window) scroll down the list of installed application and highlight the one that is labelled Firefox or Mozilla Firefox, and then clcik the Uninstall button at the top of the window and follow any onscreen instructions presented to you.

Once you have done that reboot/restart your PC.

Then, once the PC has restarted naviagte to where you downlaoded the new version of the Firefox installer, double click on it and again follow any instructions presented by the installer process (you should be able to just go with thr defaults presented). On completion of that you should find that Firefox has been reinstalled on your system.

Hope that helps?

Regards, Baldrick
Userlevel 1
The problem I am experiencing is on all three browsers I have access to...Firefox, Chrome & IE, as well on my wife's Mac (using Safari). I took my laptop to an excellent repair shop this morning. I spent significant time with their top two technicians. After updating my Java and looking at MANY other aspects of my computer, and after I told them what I've just now told you, they are convinced the problem is not with my computer or with any browser but rather with Facebook. Communicating directly with Facebook is virtually impossible, so I'm afraid for the time being I'm stuck. :( 

Thanks very much for your willingnessto  try and help....I really do appreciate it!
Userlevel 7
No worries, slongcrier.

Have you taken a look at this thread from the Facebook Support forums? I may be of assistance in realtion to your issue.

Regards, Baldrick
Userlevel 1
Wow, I've only quickly scanned these posts so far, but it looks like I'm far from alone with this experience. They all blame Facebook and none of them seem to have had their script problems resolved. Not good at all.....
Userlevel 7
True, unfortunately, but at least yo are better informed as to the nature of the issue. 

Regards, Baldrick