threat message from webroot that blocked "an attempt to connect to internet

• 2 July 2015
  • 1 reply

I put in a secure thumb drive to change some files....I received a threat message from webroot saying that the device was trying to connect to the internet but it was blocked. I have used this thumb drive in the past with no prior alerts. I swept the system and it removed a threat. Problem is I received a fake? e-mail from microsoft corporations minutes later in my inbox saying someone in japan is trying to access my computer. can these two be related? also, can I install the thumb drive and have webroot scan it? I believe the microsoft alert is phishing scam but the timing is worrisome. Thanks for the help! Tim

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Hi timmy1951

Welcome to the Community Forums.

To scan your USB drive; in My Computer or from Windows Explorer locate the USB drive that you want to scan and then right click on the icon representing it.  From the context menu dispalyed click on 'Scan with Webroot' and that should initiate a scan of the disk after which you will be presented with a summary of the scan findings.

In terms of the scam email and a possible coincidence?  Well, yes, it could be but you have done the right thing by ignoring it. You have scanned your system and removed a threat; that is positive.

So my suggestion in the circumstances is to monitor the situation and be on the look out for any further 'strange' goings on, and if you come across any then post back here and we will have a further think on what you report.

Hope that helps but if not then please post back with more detail on what youare trying to do.

Regards, Baldrick