• 4 replies

why is my upgrade price a lot more than new price on Complete
icon

Best answer by BurnDaddy 10 May 2017, 04:40

View original

4 replies

Hi jcrawford777,

Welcome to the Webroot Community.

Normally the price for the two is the same, $79.99. I believe Webroot is running a special on the purchase of a new subscription for $59.99. By renewing through Webroot you keep your same keycode and all of your passwords and Backup & Sync information. Time is also automatically added to your subscription when the current subscription cycle ends. You are free to purchase Webroot at the $59.99 price or even elsewhere through a reputable retailer. You may even find that you can get an even better deal. By going this route you will receive a new keycode so you must contact Webroot supoort so that they can transfer your passwords and B&S info to the new keycode. In addition, you will want to wait until your current subscription is about to expire as you will lose any remaining days if you go with a new subscription.

Hope this info helps. Please let us know if you have other questions. :)

BD
Userlevel 7
Hello @ and welcome to our Community!! :D

Please feel free to contact our Sales Team directly for specific pricing questions:
Sales Number: 1-866-612-4268 M-F 7am?8pm MT

Cheers!
Userlevel 2
Thanks for pointing this out. I was confused because currently the web special applies the same discount every year for multiple years for ONE device, but the discount is smaller in subsequent years for 3 devices.

As of May 7, 2017
3 device: 1 year= $37.49 ($12.50 off) , 2 year = 80 ($20 off not $25), 3 year =  $110 ($40 not $38!)
1 device: 1 year=$30 ($10 off), 2 year =  $60 ($20 off),  3 yr = $90 ($30 off)

Moreover, the purchase is "auto renewal" by default. The problem with any "auto renewal" is that the "next year price" is never stated clearly. If it were always less than or equal to the original price this would not be so bad. However nobody with any math skills would agree to commit to a future price that is an order of magnitude greater than the original price unless and until they are sure the additional cost is warranted. And many people, myself included, will immediately opt out of any auto renewal.

I made the mistake of entering a 2-year contract with BitDefender which AUTO renewed right at the time I found out that their support - when I needed it - was horrible... and I was being charged MUCH more.

The net: WebRoot is making the same pricing mistake as many other organizations (Comcast, DirecTv): give a good price to get in the door and then gouge you.  That promotes ill will and customer dissatisfaction.

Bottom line is when my year is up, I expect to be able to pay about what I paid to start with or I will go elsewhere.

Losing customers and/or generating ill will is more costly than the lost profit. 
Hi StevenTheAmusing,

I don't feel that Webroot is trying to gouge anyone. To me it's all just a matter of how comfortable people feel about where and how they make their purchases. I look at it like buying a new car. Some people will bring that car back to the dealer every time for maintenance and repairs, despite the fact that the dealership charges considerably more than other auto repair shops to do the same thing. You pay more for parts and more for labor, more for oil-changes, yet many people still choose to this route. Why? I guess because that's what they're comfortable with and they know they're getting what they want straight from the source. The same could be said for Webroot. Some people just like the peace-of-mind that you get from dealing directly with company.

I would just say that you're free to shop around and get Webroot for the best price you can find it for, that's what I do. The 2 minutes, once a year, that it takes to add a new keycode isn't an issue for me.

There are many members here in the Community that renew their subscriptions in different ways but I don't don't think Webroot is trying to generate any ill will. Many companies do business this way. Microsoft is currently selling Windows 10 Pro for $199.99 on the Microsoft website. It can be purchased many, many places for half that price and yet people still buy it from them. Personally I have found Webroot to be very attentive to their customers and provide excellent support. They even take care of us here in the Community. You can't say that about very many companies these days. Hopefully you'll find the same satisfaction with Webroot. ;)

Cheers,
BD