Solved

wrdata folder

• 11 July 2016
  • 9 replies

I have installed my user profile on another ( 4 tb) drive, most programs take this into account and use that drive for storing programdata. Unfortunately webroot doesn't and after a while the WRDATA folder grows to 10+ gb filling up my small 256 gb bootdrive to maximum capacity.

I suggest your installer properly determines which drive the use profile is on and store your files there as do most well designed applications
icon

Best answer by RetiredTripleHelix 11 July 2016, 16:30

View original

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Hi petrossa

This is a topic that has already been covered by Feature Requests, etc., in terms of a solution...please see this thread on the topic. If so minded please either support this request, i.e., comments & kudos, or start your own request to get the attention of the Development Team re. this issue.

Also, in terms of dealing with the issue currently, if you have not already then please see this previous thread that covers the recommendations from other Community members.

Hope that in some way helps?

Regards, Baldrick
thank you baldrick. Both items i've read. And indeed uninstalling/reinstalling does the the trick. I just want Webroot to follow proper rules when storing programdata. If i move my userprofile also my programdata folder moves. As i said before most applications indeed use the redirected userprofile. The only exceptions sofar are Microsoft (what a surprise) and Webroot
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
thank you baldrick. Both items i've read. And indeed uninstalling/reinstalling does the the trick. I just want Webroot to follow proper rules when storing programdata. If i move my userprofile also my programdata folder moves. As i said before most applications indeed use the redirected userprofile. The only exceptions sofar are Microsoft (what a surprise) and Webroot
ProgramData can't be moved. just like you can move the Windows folder from C drive so don't make it worse than it is! Just Contact Support and ask them to Whitelist your Files then there will be no Monitoring of files unless the program updates again so just look at your scan log once in awhile and if you have many [u] files just contact support and they will whitelist them again! To understand how WSA works, most AV's just know Good and or Bad and with WSA it knows Good, Bad and Unknown so in case it's an infection it can rollback to the pre-infection state and all your files will remain clean!

I hope that helps to understand a bit?

Thanks,

Daniel 😉
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Also I forgot to mention it's on the list for WSA to clean up after itself when the files have stopped from being Monitored so it's coming but we don't have a time line.

Thanks,

Daniel 😉
ok the last message makes me happy. Also i wasn't very clear in my earlier posts. My fault. I meant to say put wrdata in appdata so it'll follow the userprofile. I never understood the need for a sepearate appdata and programdata folder since they're both in principle the same thing and only confuse the the matter. In my simple mind application = program data.
point is my bootdrive is an SSD and applications continously writing/reading from it eats away cycles. Ideally Windows should just boot from 1 drive and all other functions use user defined drives. At least that was the basis for user profiles being moveable. 
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
ok the last message makes me happy. Also i wasn't very clear in my earlier posts. My fault. I meant to say put wrdata in appdata so it'll follow the userprofile. I never understood the need for a sepearate appdata and programdata folder since they're both in principle the same thing and only confuse the the matter. In my simple mind application = program data.

@ wrote:
point is my bootdrive is an SSD and applications continously writing/reading from it eats away cycles. Ideally Windows should just boot from 1 drive and all other functions use user defined drives. At least that was the basis for user profiles being moveable. 
I'm saying the ProgramData Folder can't be moved and it's hidden unless you show Hidden Folders. So there no sense in what your asking! Now to keep your C Drive clean of extra Data like I said contact support and ask them to Whitelist all your files then as @ posted to one of my threads you can delete the db.numbers.db files in the WRData Folder and no ther files once you have heard back from support and did a couple of scans and the reason is you don't want to delete the db.numbers.db files before because if your infected then WSA can't rollback to the pre-infection state. Once the self cleaning is added then you will not have to worry unless you use some not well known Programs/Apps then it's best if they update to contact support and ask them to whitelist ASAP.

I have 5 SSD's and my Boot Drive C is a 512GB so I'm not concerned but i do use some not well know programs and I contact support many times and sometimes 2 or 3 times a week and they are awesome in helping it's users.

Daniel 😉
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
You will probaly need a new PC/Laptop before your SSD dies as they make them so well today and I personally use Samsung SSD's.

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
See here for more info from Microsoft: https://support.microsoft.com/en-ca/kb/949977

The downside is that Windows Update does not work well with program data on a separate drive. See Relocation of the Users directory and the ProgramData directory to a drive other than the drive that contains the Windows directory.

HTH,

Daniel 😉