Solved

Can Webroot remove the resultsbay Trojan Virus?

• 6 January 2015
  • 5 replies

Hi and Happy New Year! :-)

My Name is David Castro.
I can't use Internet Explorer. When I do, popups take over the screen. It now does this with the AOL browser and Google Chrome. I ran Norton anti-virus and it showed my laptop had the Resultsbay Trojan Virus on my Laptop. But Norton was unable to completely remove Resultsbay from my computer. Can Webroot do this?
icon

Best answer by DanP 9 August 2018, 16:29

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +62
@ wrote:
Hi and Happy New Year! :-)

My Name is David Castro.
I can't use Internet Explorer. When I do, popups take over the screen. It now does this with the AOL browser and Google Chrome. I ran Norton anti-virus and it showed my laptop had the Resultsbay Trojan Virus on my Laptop. But Norton was unable to completely remove Resultsbay from my computer. Can Webroot do this?
Hello and Welcome to the Community Forum, DavidC96,

ResultsBay it’s technically not a virus, but it does exhibit plenty of malicious traits, such as rootkit capabilities to hook deep into the operating system, browser hijacking, and in general just interfering with the user experience. The industry generally refers to it as a “PUP,” or potentially unwanted program. Below is what the community has put together.

What you are seeing and describing is what we on the Community refer to as a PUA. (Potentially Unwanted Application)These are very annoying at best in that they cause pop-us, redirect your browser home page, and other behavior that may slow down the computer and direct ads your way, but they are not actually doing anything bad like damaging files or stealing information. Often they are installed intentionally by you the user as browser add-ons for various tasks such as quick search tools.. but they also come with the result of added annoying pop-ups and ads. Other times they 'piggy back' with other software that you installed, or try to 'sneak' onto your system entirely.

WSA does detect and remove many PUA's, and more are being added, but WSA does not detect all of them. A simple browser add-on with PUA behavior that is easy to identify and easy to remove is not likely to be detected and removed by WSA. Those that are intentionally difficult to locate and remove are. Please see THIS LINK for more information regarding Webroot's stance on these annoying programs.

The best thing to do is to submit a Trouble Ticket and ask Webroot Support to take a look and remove these for you.  There is NO CHARGE for this for valid WSA license holder.

Also, we have had a lot of discussion regarding these recently, and I have posted an Idea for Webroot to consider asking them to increase PUA detection.  The more  users that need help removing a particular PUA the more likely and faster that PUA will be added to detection.

I hope this helps!

Best Regards,

So, viruses and malware are covered, can I add in with reassurances to include Trojan Horses of all kind are covered, also and anything else I may not have mentioned that are important, too?   Thank you for addressing my question!  Much appreciated!
Hope a brief summary would be sufficient to answer my question.  Hope my question is more clear than Mud?
Thanks, again until next time.

Best Regards,

Rod
So, viruses and malware are covered, can I add in with reassurances to include Trojan Horses of all kind are covered, also and anything else I may not have mentioned that are important, too?   Thank you for addressing my question!  Much appreciated!
Hope a brief summary would be sufficient to answer my question.  Hope my question is more clear than Mud?
Thanks, again until next time.

Best Regards,

Rod
Userlevel 7
Badge +35
Hello @,

We protect against malware of all types, including trojan horses.

-Dan

Thanks, DanP Threat Researcher!  Thanks so very much, Dan!

Best Regard, 

Webfooted