Solved

Disable Firewall Auto-Allow Countdown?

Userlevel 2
So.....so far loving webroot, especially the concept behind the anti-virus.

The firewall leaves me puzzled...  How do you disable the 60 second auto-allow countdown?

I have it set to ask on everything.  Auto-allowing after 60 seconds is thus pointless...if I'm not sitting at the computer, it will allow...and I can't even stop the timer.  If I want to research an app for a moment, the connection is allowed and I can't stop it unless I block it when I don't want to.  It should be able to just sit happily until I take action...be it seconds or days later.

So....where is that option hiding?  Searching didn't help much.

(And, keep up excellent work! :))
icon

Best answer by XediDC 1 August 2012, 03:30

View original

15 replies

Userlevel 7
Hi XediDC

Welcome to the happy band! :D

Far as I know there is no option to disable this at present (and just in case & before you ask...the Modify MBR protection work the other way, i.e., 60 seconds to say 'OK' or it auto Blocks).

There is currently some debate going on about this and I believe that the 'issue' has been logged with the developers and they may well be doing something in terms of moving to an auto block rather than allow approach soon.  Nothing definitive yet so keep watching.

Tried to find the relevant thread but cannot. :(

Userlevel 2
Thanks!.

As it seems Webroot appreciates honesty, this is frankness, not whining: I'm using the trial now, and this makes the firewall not really worth buying.  So, I'll be happily buying just the Anti-virus piece for now, and then if this ever changes (just an option to "don't countdown") I'll snap up the essentials/firewall version.

Well, I might buy it anway...it's still better than a whole variety of other bloated offerings out there, and I'd rather run one less piece of software.   Just means I'll have to dig through the allow list every so often to see what has been allowed.   Although -- question to that: does it "auto-allow" or "auto-allow-once"?  As if it's auto-allow-once then I imagine it won't show up on the Network Applications allow/block list and I won't know about it...

Control Freak?  Yes, but everything else webroot does feeds that need. :) 
Userlevel 7
Hi XediDC

Good question re. the  "auto-allow" or "auto-allow-once".  To be honest I have mine set to the 'Warn...only if computer is infected' option as I use KIS as my main Firewall and WSA as the back up, etc., and as a result I have not recently seen any activity in this area...and so cannot remember well enough to give an accurate answer...but I am sure that one of the bretheren will be by shortly to advise.

Regards

Balders
Userlevel 7
Hey Xed and Balders,

The "Warn if any new, untrusted processes connect to the Internet if the computer is infected" setting is my recomended setting and is set to default within SecureAnywhere. The majority of processes running on your machine will need to be set to "Allow" and more advanced users can always navigate through "View Network Applications" to block specific processes.

Here is an article that explains why we do not work like other traditional firewalls and how they may leave you vulnerable to attacks.

Why doesn't the firewall block everything by default?

Balders, the thread you were referring to is actually an idea in the Ideas Exchange.

Firewall - BLOCK ONCE - No time set for allowed past firewall

Userlevel 7
Hi Mike

Had seen the article you mention but good to make sure that others who have not now have a chance to review it.  Interestingly, as WSA is my 2nd line of defense the setting that I have set is a great completment to my 1st line of defense.

In terms of the idea (rather than thread) thanks for putting me straight...that would explaini why I could not find it, doh!!!!! :$

Balders
Userlevel 7
I am glad that you mentioned it, I think it is valuable to this thread and other people who view it.

Thank you for your contributions! 😃
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
That is so true as average users can mess themselves up but if your Teck Savvy I would like to have the option to auto Block and keep the warning message there! Maybe it could be a request for advance users?

TH
Userlevel 2
Thanks....

The article makes sense for most, yes.    So, I'll give the unattended auto-allow up as a feature the help usability, and not argue that.    (not that I wouldn't like the option to no-auto....or even a registry key hack to do it :))

But -- maybe it could be at least made that if you click "more details" the timer doesn't keep counting down.  It's on the other hand a terrible user experience to be watching a timer count down with no way to prevent the choice being made for you -- when you simply don't want to make a choice yet, or want to check something...or just read the details.  (The general concept of auto-allow and the timer for unattended allow, is different than there being no way to stop it when starting at the box.  One I can see how is good, one is maddening.)

Just something simple like a little "x" next to the count down to stop it, when you are looking at the pop-up live.  Or pause while viewing more details?  Otherwise, it is very frustrating when you just want to think a moment....or finish something else.    The second time I saw it, I assumed if I had clicked over to more details it would pause, but no....the window vanished after it's time had run out.  

Just my $0.02.  Every other part of webroot I've dealth with is soooooo much better than anything else out there.  :)
Userlevel 7
You're making what sounds like a very reasonable request. I would suggest putting it in the Ideas Exchange and seeing if it gains traction. Product management reviews the ideas in the Ideas Exchange regularly. If they see that an idea has a lot of support, they certainly consider those ideas.
Userlevel 7
Hi XediDC

If you want to take up Jim's suggestion and let us know when you have done so I for will will pop over and kudos your idea. :D

Regards

Balders
Userlevel 2
Will do.

Thanks again to the community here, and webroot, for being so interested and responsive.  (If it tells you anything, I'd stripped off all the other software (for what webroot) does on the other PC's...within 24 hours of when I set it up the PC I started with.)

Keep up the good work!
Userlevel 2
Okie dokie...posted on over here: http://community.webroot.com/t5/Ideas-Exchange/Allow-Cancel-of-Auto-Allow-Counter-in-Dialog-Box/idi-p/8344
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
Okie dokie...posted on over here: http://community.webroot.com/t5/Ideas-Exchange/Allow-Cancel-of-Auto-Allow-Counter-in-Dialog-Box/idi-p/8344
Excellent Idea! You got my vote. 😃
Userlevel 7
Mine too. 😃
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Same here but I asked to make it an Advance feature as non-tech savvy people would just leave everything on default after install! I would like to see block all until user interaction and again make it an Advance feature!

TH