Firewall- reverse acceptance of a program on Windows 8.1 Asus G750

• 18 March 2014
  • 2 replies

Ok Guys,
Here's the scoop! I was'nt paying attention and there was a pop up from my firewall stating there was a program wanting to gain access. I (without thinking) clicked accept. I would like to go back in there a remove acceptace. Ever since then my comp. is running slow. Its 5 months old and should not be running like this. Thanks for your help guys!

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +52
Hello Dismis123 and Welcome to the Webroot Community Forums!

Restore Windows Firewall settings
If you've changed some Windows Firewall settings and you want to undo your changes, you can restore the firewall settings to the original (default) settings.
  1.  clicking Control Panel. In the search box, type firewall, and then click Windows Firewall.
  2. In the left pane, click Restore defaults. [img]http://res2.windows.microsoft.com/resbox/en/windows%207/main/18abb370-ac1e-4b6b-b663-e028a75bf05b_48.jpg[/img] If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation. [img]http://res2.windows.microsoft.com/resbox/en/windows%207/main/5f453e7d-c59b-42e9-947e-44f0da1a71ef_50.jpg[/img]Restore defaults link in Windows Firewall
  3. In the dialog box that appears, click Restore defaults. At the confirmation prompt, click Yes.         Thank you Best regard, Petr.
Userlevel 7
Hi Dismis123

Welcome to the Community Fora....:):)

Please note that a reset is quite a radical solution as it will remove ALL firewall settings that have been configured on ALL networks locations, and that may stop some programs that were previously working to now not work, etc.

Depending on how computer savvy you are you can also use the Advanced Settings option and search for and remove the offending rule (that was created by the inadvertent acceptance of the popup)...but obviously you need to know what you are looking for in terms of the culprit app.

If you do not have that information then the only option you have is that suggested by Petr.

Hope that assists further?

Regards

Baldrick