I KEEP GETTING CALLS FROM PEOPLE SAYING THAT THEY ARE FROM MICROSOFT AND MY SYSTEM HAS BEEN HACKED.

• 15 September 2015
  • 2 replies

I am getting calls from people saying that my service with you has been cancelled because your system has crashed and that my computer has been hacked into.

Are these calls legit?

I keep asking for my security pass word and they are unable to provide it to me.

PLease let me know what is going on and a legitimate peron I can call.

Thank you,

Shauna Callens

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +7
Hi Shauna, welcome to the community,

This is a scam as Microsoft and other legitimate companies don't make these types of calls.

See this previous post: https://community.webroot.com/t5/Webroot-SecureAnywhere-Internet/A-man-called-today-saying-he-was-from-Microsoft-and-that-my/m-p/194436#M5420 

Regards,
Dave
It's great fun if you've got some spare time. Play along and see how long you can keep them on the phone. You will be doing everyone else a great service. While they are wasting their time "fixing" your computer, they aren't scamming someone more vulnerable. They get really pissed off when they finally figure it out. Just pretend to be doing whatever they tell you. Spin it out - make them spell everything out for you. Play dumb. My record is 22 minutes. Have fun.