cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I have Crytolocker on my computer you are my security please remove this as I cant use my computer

Crytolocker as appearded on my computer and removed and blocked my files please help you are my pc  security

21 REPLIES
Gold VIP

Re: I have Crytolocker on my computer you are my security please remove this as I cant use my comput

Hello @carlpoundallm

Welcome to the Webroot Community,

Sorry to hear this,

I would advise contacting our support team so they can take a look at this issue for you and get it resolved free of charge.

Support Number: 1-866-612-4227

Support Ticket: https://detail.webrootanywhere.com/servicewelcome.asp

Best Regards,

Sherry

original.png Microsoft® Windows Insider MVP - Windows Security

Helpful Webroot Links:

Download (PC) | Download (Best Buy Subscription) | Submit Trouble Ticket | Account Console | User_Guides | BrightCloud URL lookup

Register
and Introduce yourself to The Community!

ALIENWARE 17R4 Win 10 Pro x64 / Mac OS X El Capitan (10.11.6), IPad's, PCs,W 10 & (VM:14) & Webroot® SecureAnywhere™ Internet Security Complete (Android Samsung Galaxy Note 8) Beta Tester,Windows Insider Builds

Re: I have Crytolocker on my computer you are my security please remove this as I cant use my comput

I am having the same issue!!!  Did you get your issue resolved???

Silver VIP

@Santi2010 wrote:

I am having the same issue!!!  Did you get your issue resolved???

Hi and welcome to the Community @Santi2010 I would suggest you contact support as per the previous post.

Support is free of charge to current subscription holders.

http://community.webroot.com/html/assets/SigSVIP.png  beta_tester_transparent.png

Luminary Signature.png

2016-07-18_12-11-32.png  Microsoft® Windows Insider MVP - Windows Security

Thanks!

Silver VIP

You are very welcome.

http://community.webroot.com/html/assets/SigSVIP.png  beta_tester_transparent.png

Luminary Signature.png

2016-07-18_12-11-32.png  Microsoft® Windows Insider MVP - Windows Security

Gold VIP

Hi Santi2010

If I may add at this point...try to minimise the use of your computer until Support respond.  The reason for this is that some avriants of this encryption malware are known to repliocate themselves under new names to new locations on the infected system, so as to make them harder to find and also to remove.

Regards, Baldrick

Untitled-1.png

Webroot SecureAnywhere Complete Beta Tester v9.0.24.28, imaged by Macrium Reflect v7.2

Community Leader

Hi Baldrick

On a general note, I am wondering why WSA did not prevent Crypolocker from executing on the PCs of the two unforunate victims. My understanding is that if a malware link is clicked on, WSA should prevent it being executed in the first place.

I understand that Support may be able to rollback to a pre-infected state but surely prevention is always better than cure? It's not as though Crypolocker is new malware but I guess there may be new variants. Either way WSA is marketed as having your back with zero day exploits anyway.

Would be interested in your, or any of the other regulars, comments on this.

Regards

Nemo

Community Leader

Highlighted
Retired Webrooter

It's not as though Crypolocker is new malware but I guess there may be new variants

CryptoLocker is a family name for a specific group of infections. Its not like there is one file doing the rounds that you just have to stop. There a thousands of new variants of it created every hour each a little different. In the same way that there are thousands of variants of bacteria you cant take a single tablet to cure you of everything when you are sick. There are also so many other factors to think about too, I have seen people ignore our alerts multiple times and then go and run the infection then complain that they got infected.

If people used a decent email service I'd wager that Cryptolocker worldwide would take a nosedive. I have seen email in my junk accounts that have it but they are all caught by Gmail/Outlooks spam filter. 

Gold VIP

Hi Nemo

EDIT: I see that Roy has gotten there before me. Smiley Wink

Good question and my guess is that we may be in the realms of new varients of an old problem...it is not that WSA is not detecting the infection itis just that the infection may be new and rather than just letting the new variants go on their merry way to wreak havoc as would be the case with some security apps who had not encountered the new variant, WSA has the secondary layer of protection (not a cure but rather protection) of monitoring and then journalling the activity of 'undetermined' files.

But if we are talking about prevention rather than cure...then we must not forget the 1st layer of prevention...which is user savvyness. i.e., not opening email is not sure of the provenance, not clicking on/opening email attachments from the same or that may be even the slightest bit suspicious.

Let's just hope that Support can assist in the cases of these two users who have unfortunately become the vitims of these very nasty peopl generating and using this malware.

Regards, Baldrick

Untitled-1.png

Webroot SecureAnywhere Complete Beta Tester v9.0.24.28, imaged by Macrium Reflect v7.2