Infected Files

• 28 October 2016
  • 1 reply

Badge +1
When infected files are found during scan am I to delete or leave as is and assume they are quarantined? If I am to delte how do I do that?

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Hi delandz

Welcome to the Community Forums.

When infections are detected & cleaned by WSA sometimes you will have no option as WSA will delete the files. But on other occasions it will quarantine the 'offending' items. What you do with those sent to Quarantine is up to you, and very much depends on your technical knowledge.

The files may indeed be infected but they may also be placed there due to a false positive. If you are convince that they are malware-related then you can delete them in the same way as if yo are sure they are there as a result of a false positive you can restore them. But in either case caution is advised.

It should be pointed out that in the case of quarantined items, they are rescanned as part of every scheduled and/or manual scan initiated, and as such should the determination change, i.e., one or more are reclassified as good then they will be automatically restored.

Penultimately, to quote the online help on the subject:

"Once items are moved to quarantine, they are disabled and cannot harm your computer. However, you may want to delete or restore quarantined items in the following circumstances:

• To conserve disk space, you can delete the items permanently.
  • If a program is not working correctly without the quarantined item, you can restore it. In rare cases, a piece of spyware is an integral part of a legitimate program and is required to run that program."
And finally, to delete the contents of Quarantine (or to restore them for that matter) you marked the files to be processed and then either click on 'Delete Permanently' or 'Restore' buttons (at the bottom right of the relevant panel) depending on what you want to do...but you cannot process both types of action at the same time...obviously.

I hope that answers your query?

Regards, Baldrick