Solved

Installers containing PUAs need option to run anyway

• 10 June 2015
  • 5 replies

So many software installers contain PUAs these days. Advanced installation and declining to install PUAs should be an option without having to turn off Webroot protection to do the installation! My biggest fear is that I'll forget to turn Webroot back on afterward. That's a much bigger risk than most PUAs themselves!
icon

Best answer by Dermot7 10 June 2015, 02:07

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Hello Solano, I would not turn off WSA to install anything and wouldn't recommend doing so.

Here are some references regarding their detection and removal, and ideas from Community members etc.  

Your questions and opinions are welcome. Thanks.

https://community.webroot.com/t5/Techie-KB/How-to-Remove-Potentially-Unwanted-Applications/ta-p/40744

Webroot's position on PUA - Webroot Community    

https://community.webroot.com/t5/Ideas-Exchange/Block-All-Bundled-Software/idi-p/156643

https://community.webroot.com/t5/Ideas-Exchange/Better-Smarter-PUA-detection-quot-PUAs-the-real-problem-quot/idi-p/81227
You miss my point. You make it necessary to disable Webroot by not offering an option to run the installer anyway. Sure, click-happy users who suck down binaries all day and don't use advanced install options (or use them carelessly) can end up with a browser toolbar or something they didn't want, if you allow them to go ahead with such an installer after identifying the potential issue. But please understand that it's ONLY just that--a *potential* issue. Whereas the kind of vulnerability that might result from Webroot being disabled is a clear and present danger that must be avoided. You cannot safely and absolutely protect people from themselves, because in doing so, you create a situation that promotes even more dangerous workarounds.

Please consider the value of identifying PUPs, and warning users, an even defaulting to blocking the installer, but providing an option to assume the risk and install anyway. When I turn off Webroot to get around the lack of such an option, I'm doing MUCH worse than that! Please work with me here. I really need some of the freeware I've installed lately, and couldn't afford the commercial alternatives. I hate toolbars, and other PUPs as much as anybody, but I prefer vigilance to tyranny, whether it be from AV applications or governments.
Userlevel 7
Badge +35
@ wrote:
You miss my point. You make it necessary to disable Webroot by not offering an option to run the installer anyway. Sure, click-happy users who suck down binaries all day and don't use advanced install options (or use them carelessly) can end up with a browser toolbar or something they didn't want, if you allow them to go ahead with such an installer after identifying the potential issue. But please understand that it's ONLY just that--a *potential* issue. Whereas the kind of vulnerability that might result from Webroot being disabled is a clear and present danger that must be avoided. You cannot safely and absolutely protect people from themselves, because in doing so, you create a situation that promotes even more dangerous workarounds.

Please consider the value of identifying PUPs, and warning users, an even defaulting to blocking the installer, but providing an option to assume the risk and install anyway. When I turn off Webroot to get around the lack of such an option, I'm doing MUCH worse than that! Please work with me here. I really need some of the freeware I've installed lately, and couldn't afford the commercial alternatives. I hate toolbars, and other PUPs as much as anybody, but I prefer vigilance to tyranny, whether it be from AV applications or governments.
The installers from the official product download pages usually do not contain bundled PUAs. Sometimes you may have to find the correct link though (FileZilla comes to mind.) In cases where the only installers available include bundled PUAs you can restore the detected files from Quarantine and install the app - there is no need to shut down WSA. 

-Dan
Restoring the file from Quarantine would be fine. I'm new to Webroot, and haven't found the quarantine manager. I'll nose around some more, and consult the online help if I can't find it. Thanks!
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
See here: http://www.webroot.com/En_US/SecureAnywhere/PC/WSA_PC_Help.htm#C5_Quarantine/CH5a_ManagingQuarantine.htm

Daniel 😉