Is Webroot going to release Java 8 from it's blocked list? This action is a No No.

• 10 December 2014
  • 6 replies

I went through computer pain trying to get the latest Java 8 verision to work my medical program.  Only to find out at a price that Webroot has Java 8 blocked.  As all you computer people know Java programs are essential to run many programs.

I do not believe that Java ia a Adware or Malware.  Although there were problems in the past with Java 7.

Need help

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Hello MikeeB, welcome to the Community!

While Java might not be adware, a majority of 3rd party or pop-up sources FOR Java are, and thus they are blocked.  Please download Java directly from Java and opt out of all additional software, and I believe you will find that the download goes smoothly.

I hope this helps!
Userlevel 7
Hi MikeeB

Welcome to the Community Forums.

In addition to what David posted, which I completely endorse from my own experiences with Java downloads, if you are looking for the OEM site then please use this link to to download from...but even though this is the offical site do please watch out for addons and decide at the time of diowloading whether you really want them.

Regards, Baldrick
I disagree with David and Baldrick... For me, as for many others, downloading just any version from anywhere is not an option.  I work with Oracle EBS exclusively and my clients are all over the board with the java versions.  The one thing that usually remains constant is; I download the java version required to access their system via their servers or Oracle directly.  It is difficult enough to work with multiple java versions at once. The last thing I need is Webroot blocking a specific java version without allowing me to un-block it. 
It took me hours to find out that Webroot was the problem.  Unfortunately - I have no other option than to disable Webroot while connected to a client that requires java 1.8.x .
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
I disagree with David and Baldrick... For me, as for many others, downloading just any version from anywhere is not an option.  I work with Oracle EBS exclusively and my clients are all over the board with the java versions.  The one thing that usually remains constant is; I download the java version required to access their system via their servers or Oracle directly.  It is difficult enough to work with multiple java versions at once. The last thing I need is Webroot blocking a specific java version without allowing me to un-block it. 
It took me hours to find out that Webroot was the problem.  Unfortunately - I have no other option than to disable Webroot while connected to a client that requires java 1.8.x .
Hello and Welcome to the Webroot Community!

I would suggest you Submit a Support Ticket and ask them to look into your issue as it could be a simple thing of getting the said files white-listed in the Webroot Cloud Database.

See here for more information:  https://community.webroot.com/t5/Security-Industry-News/Java-Runtime-Environment-64-Bit-JRE-9/m-p/301787

Thanks,

Daniel
Thanks for the reply.  I probably would have taken this as the next step but I found the setting that allowed me to overcome this.
Just in case anyone else is interrested here are the steps I took to make it work:
1. Webroot console (on pc) > View Status > click on identity protection gear
2. switch to "Application Protection" tab and find the jvm dll entry for java 1.8x and above
3. switch it to protect instead of deny
This change allowed my Oracle EBS sessions to run using the java version 8.x.  

Kind Regards,
Ralph
Userlevel 7
Badge +35
Please Submit a Support Ticket if you are experiencing this issue - or any time you see legitimate software being blocked. I'm not seeing any Java components being blocked, so we would need more information in order to identify and resolve the issue.

Thanks,

-Dan