Is high disk usage by Remote Desktop Services UserMode Port Redirector a sign of something malicious

• 18 July 2016
  • 1 reply

Hi all,

Recently when I start my Windows 10 PC, it keeps spinning the disks for the longest time.
By looking at the Task Manager, it is the "Remote Desktop Services UserMode Port Redirector" service that's doing something. Killing the service immediately drops the disk useage from 95%+ to below 10%.

I have never used remote desktop on this machine, so is this normal, or a sign of something sketchy going on?
If it is not normal, how can I investigate further and/or protect my computer. I have Internet Security Plus running.

-Greg

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Hi shinjin

Welcome to the Community Forums.

From doing a bit of research on the topic I can find no immediate evidence to indicate that what you are reportung is in any way an indication of malicious activity.

And to be honest if the problem persists, is causing you issues, and if you do not remote into any machines, you could chose to disable both of those services. You can find them in Services as "Remote Desktop Services" and "Remote Desktop Services UserMode Port Redirector." Having said that 'tweaking' services is not something that should be done lightly as it can affect your system adversely, and if one does then a System Restore Point shpuld be created, as a minimum. BUT if you do not feel comfortable doing so, then do not.

And finally, if still concerned then you could Open a Support Ticket to ask the Support Team to check this out for you, i.e., the potential linkage of what you are seeing to malicious activity.

Not sure if that helps any?

Regards, Baldrick