Malicious message.

• 26 February 2014
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 1
Can someone help me. I sell things on eBay. Now Webroot is blocking me from getting on eBay. I always have to click on Allow to do stuff. I have Webroot SecureAnywhere. I am using v8.0.4.63. How do I change the settings?

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Hi Tommy1965

Welcome to the Community Forums...:D

It sounds as if the Web Threat Shield is blocking your access to ebay via your browser. I assume that when you say that "I always have to click on Allow to do stuff" you are referring to a web page from Webroot warning you that there are issues with the site/webpage you are wanting to go to and that you have take the override option in the bottom left hand quarter of the page displayed?

If that is the case then doing that should write an override entry into a local whitelisting file called 'Whitelist.txt' which can be found at the following location on your system programdatawrdatawrurl.  If you can find that file, check the contents and advise back as to whether you have any ebay-related urls listed, that would be useful.

If however you are being blocked by some other means, i.e, what I have described above is not familiar then please provide more information as to what you are seeing, what messages & options you are being presented with when being blocked, etc., so that we can try to determine where the issue is.

The other thing that you can do if it is consistently the same site being blocked is to follow this URL Change Process:

If you have a website that you feel is incorrectly identified as safe or unsafe, follow the steps below to submit a change request. 

1. First, click here to open Webroot's URL Reputation Change Request page. 

2. Enter the web address of the page you are submitting in the URL field. 

• If you believe the site should not be blocked, select the radio button next to “81-100”. This will give the URL the highest possible rating. 
• If you believe the site should be blocked, select the radio button next to “1-20”. This will give the URL the lowest possible rating. 

3. After rating the URL, please enter your email address and product type (e.g. Webroot SecureAnywhere for Mac). To receive notifications when your website change request is processed, check the box to receive notifications. 

4. Click "Submit" to send your request. 

Generally this team responds within 24-48 hours. You can also view further details about our website classification process by clicking here

I hope that some of the above is of some help...please advise back re. the above...and we will try to assist yo further in getting to the bottom of this. :D

Regards

Baldrick
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
We had a bug where my.ebay.com was being blocked, but only when using Chrome.  If you go back to the page after logging in then it should be fine.  Or you can use Firefox or IE.  Once the update is rolled out then you shouldn't be getting that false positive anymore.
Userlevel 7
Hi Nic

Many thanks for the update...good to know. :D

Having said that I did try to go into both my.ebay.com & .co.uk using Chrome but could not replicate the issue so perhaps there something else involved as well...:@

But think that even if that is the case that it is best to wait for the update (presume that this will be identified in the official release notes post?) so that either it resolves the issue or if not then it reinforces the possibility that it could be something else.

Regards

Baldrick
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
Hi Nic

Many thanks for the update...good to know. :D

Having said that I did try to go into both my.ebay.com & .co.uk using Chrome but could not replicate the issue so perhaps there something else involved as well...:@

But think that even if that is the case that it is best to wait for the update (presume that this will be identified in the official release notes post?) so that either it resolves the issue or if not then it reinforces the possibility that it could be something else.

Regards

Baldrick
You may already have the update.  I was still getting blocked on my work pc yesterday, but in a test VM it was fine.