Solved

My Email address is called "unknown".

• 10 April 2015
  • 5 replies

I will notice that the Webroot logo, to the right of the URL address space is grayed out, apparently not running. When I click on it a logon box drops down, and I enter my user name and password. The logo then turns green, seeming to me to mean that the program now is running. But as soon as that logo turns green, a red bar appears across the screen directly under the top bar that tells me that my email address is unknown. To the far right of that red bar there's a small box that says "Try again." I do that and the entire process is repeated again and again. I am 100% confident that my address and password both are correct. I even have an email from Webroot that confirms that. I am running the Chrome browser on an iMac. So is Webroot actually running during all of this, or is it stopped? And how do I get it to stop telling me that my email address is unknown? I've been using Webroot for a couple of weeks, and this is the first problem I've faced. By the way, tech support is not espcecially impressive. I opened a ticket with them last night. They wrote to me this morning with no solutions at all, only the statement that if I continue to have problems, let them know.

Thanks,
Jerry Walker
icon

Best answer by jdwalker4 11 April 2015, 04:00

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hello Jerry,

Welcome to the Webroot Community Forum,

Have you tried another browser such as Safari and do you still get that message? Can you clean up your cache/history in Chrome.

1. In the top-right corner of the browser window, click the Chrome menu [img]https://lh4.ggpht.com/IB7eZ2ht1pEixChJA4xp6iejr1xw3rXY_yJNeHgHajBRTzLB0ldIpEFje8gyeB4ydp6xpQpJ=w18-h18[/img]
  2. Select History.
  3. Click the button Clear browsing data. A dialog will appear.
  4. From the drop-down menu, select how much history you want to delete. To clear your entire browsing history, select the beginning of time.
  5. Check the boxes for the data you want Chrome to clear, including “browsing history." Learn more about the types of browsing data you can delete
  6. Click the button Clear browsing data.
Close and reopen your browser and try again.

Then if that doesn't work you can change your Password in your Account Console and see if that makes a difference.

[list=1]
  1. Click here to access the management website.
[/list]
  1. Click on the "Can't log in?" link in blue next to the Log In button. [img]http://sw.nohold.net/Webroot/Images/wsa_changecredentials4.png[/img]  
  2. Select if you would like to reset your Password or Personal Security Code. [img]http://sw.nohold.net/Webroot/Images/wsa_changecredentials5.png[/img]  
  3. Enter your email address in the box provided. [img]http://sw.nohold.net/Webroot/Images/wsa_changecredentials6.png[/img] If after entering your email address you receive a message stating, "Your account has not been activated," you can have the activation email resent to you. Click the Resend Email button and follow the instructions in the email. If you need assistance confirming your account, click here.  
  4. Type in the answer to your Security Question. This answer is case sensitive. [img]http://sw.nohold.net/Webroot/Images/wsa_changecredentials7.png[/img]  
  5. If answered correctly, you will be sent an email with a link to reset your Password or Personal Security Code as you requested. Click the link in the email to reset your credentials. Once this is done, you should be able to log in normally. If answered incorrectly, you will get an error message. You can try again by clicking on the Home button at the top of the page and starting from Step 2.
If none of this helps please follow these instructions below.

The Mac operating system relies on permissions for most tasks. If these permissions are incorrect, they can cause a variety of issues, both with your programs and with computer performance itself.

To check permissions on the Mac OS:
1. Navigate to Applications > Utilities > Disk Utility.
Note: The Disk Utility feature is advanced and powerful. Any action you take using the Disk Utility is at your own risk. We recommend you only use the Disk Utility under instruction by a qualified technician.

2. Click the Hard Drive name, e.g. Macintosh HD, in the left panel.

3. Under the First Aid tab, select Show details.
4. Click Verify Disk Permissions. This operation may take some time to complete.

5. If the operation finds permissions issues, fixing them can resolve the issue you have reported. Click Repair Disk Permissions. This process may also take time to complete.

6. Once the repair process is finished, restart your computer.

Sorry you are having this issue and if you don't want to preform any of the steps above then Submit that Support Ticket again and tell them that this issue hasn't been resolved.

Kind Regards,

I certainly appreciate your efforts Sherry, but after doing everything that you suggested, including the running of the Disc Utility and changing my password, the problem remains. I also have cleared the cache. The problem is occuring in both Google Chrome and Safari. What I do not understand is that on my wife's computer, a PC running Windows7, Webroot is functioning as it should. 

Being a new subscriber, I am not sure what is to be considered normal, but one difference that I have noticed between my iMac and her Windows PC, is that when I choose to scan the computer, her Webroot (quick) scan takes close to 3 minutes and shows me a rapid progression through the files. On my iMac, a scan takes about 10 seconds and shows that only 10 to 20 files were scanned. That seems a little strange to me, but that may be normal.

Thanks again for your help. I'm sorry that it didn't work. I had used Norton for at least 20 years but lost some confidence in the company when the CEO admitted that Norton can catch only about 40% of the "bad guys". And I resented having to pay a double fee for their sevice because of the two different platforms that we have. Despite my negative thoughts about Norton, I must say that I've had to pay more attention to Webroot over the past 24 hours than I spent with Norton over those 20 years. I hope that a way can be found that will allow me to continue with Webroot.

Regards,
Jerry Walker
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hi Jerry,

Please submit a Support Ticket and they will fix this for you free of charge with an activce subscription.

So sorry for your issues. I have a Mac running WSAC and I wouldn't trade it for anything. Support usually responds within 24 hrs. but since it's the weekend it might be longer.

Thanks for trying everything I suggested. Just put in this reference link for support and then they will know what you have been told to do. and you can call Support here too Call 1-866-612-4268
https://community.webroot.com/t5/Webroot-SecureAnywhere-Internet/My-Email-address-is-called-quot-unknown-quot/m-p/196611#M5571

Please let us know how things turn out won't you?

Kind Regards,

Hi Sherry,

For the past few hours, I've been practically holding my breath and trying to make each click of my mouse as gently as possible. I don't know what to think or say, but for those past few hours, Webroot has been working normally. Since following your instructions, which seemed to do no good at the moment, I've done nothing else at all in an effort to resolve this situation. All that I now know is that Webroot seems to be working normally. If it keeps this up for a day or two or three, maybe I can breathe freely and stop worrying that Webroot may have stopped again and left my computer exposed.

I have no idea what could have caused this change for the better, but if your suggestions played a part in this success, I am grateful to you for taking the time to help me. I am thankful for your provision of help, but I honestly am hoping that I never have any further reason to be seeking help with Webroot.

Regards,
Jerry Walker
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hi Jerry,

Sometimes the disk permissions can resolve things along with a reboot. I hope Webroot works well for you. I even run the Permissions on my Mac from time to time. 

Remember we are here for you and your welcome to come in the Forum anytime for help or just to visit because we are a friendly bunch.  :)

Thanks for keeping us posted and hope to hear good news from you in the next couple of days huh? 

Kind Regards....You are quite welcome Jerry 🙂