light bulb

Did You Know?

Accepted Solution

New Virus - Music Playing in Background

First, had all types of music playing in the back ground. I checked the program manger and no programs are running in the background. Then my computer crashed and wouldn't power back up. But continued to cycle through uploading windows. I took it to Best Buy GeekSquad. They ran a scan and discovered I had a rootkit virus. They cleaned it. My laptop worked just fine. Now the music is back; however, I performed a webroot scan and it found no threats. My laptop powered down again.. Is anyone else out there experiencing this?
Topics: 201
Kudos: 964
Solutions: 427

Re: New Virus - Music Playing in Background

I recommend using our support ticket system so that one of our technicians or threat engineers can investigate.

Webroot offers free advanced malware removal and technical support.

Support Number: 1-866-612-4227
Support Ticket: https://www.webrootanywhere.com/servicewelcome.asp

Serious Gamers need Serious Protection - Webroot AntiVirus for PC Gamers

Follow us for giveaways: 

Twitter.pngFB.png

Mike R

Marketing & Gaming Project Coordinator

Community Guide tsr
Community Guide

This type of virus has been around for awhile. A friend of mind has this same type of issue with music playing the background.

His PC would play random music as well as commercials. Eventually it shut down his  computer and it would only boot to a black screen with a white blinking cursor. The virus was messing with his boot files.

Community Guide

Kudos: 5,027
Solutions: 309

This may be a new variant of the bugger as WSA did not detect it.  This is why creating a Trouble Ticket is so important: once Webroot Support has seen the new variant it can add it to the Cloud so that WSA will now protect all users from it.

David

New to the Community? Register now and start posting!

Helpful Webroot Links:

Download (PC)   Download (Best Buy Subscription)   Submit Trouble Ticket   Account Console   User Guides   

"If you don't learn something new every day, you need to pay more attention. I often get my daily learning here so grab a chair and stay a while!"

WSA-Complete (Beta PC), WSA Mobile (Android), WSA Business Mobile (Android) WSA-Endpoint (PC- Some of the time.....)
Threat Researcher

We are seeing more of these "audio ads" infections. Some of the nastier varients do use rootkits, but others are not so complex. As others have mentioned, it is best to create a support ticket if you happen to encounter this.

-Dan

Webroot Threat Research
Threat Researcher

[ Edited ]

Typically these are rootkits which infect the MBR, others are just dll's and runkeys. I've got a really obnoxious one right now that I'm dissecting and it has already annoyed many people in the office. Opening a support ticket will yield to us logs which will allow us to resolve the issue promptly.

-Tyler

Webroot Threat Research

Topics: 668
Kudos: 8,431
Solutions: 625

Hello Tyler and Welcome to the Webroot Community Forums. It's nice to have another Threat Researcher on the Forums. Smiley Wink

Cheers,

Daniel

coollogo_com-133794099.gif

asapvip.pngSigGVIP.pngEPA.png

Webroot® SecureAnywhere™ Internet Security Complete Beta Tester v9.0.3.19 on my main system Alienware 17R2, Windows 10 Pro x64 & HTC One M8 Android Lollipop 5.0.1 Phone v3.7.0.7159.

MVP.gif.pngMicrosoft® MVP Consumer Security  

Twitter1.png  Untitled-1.png  WBA.png

Kudos: 5,027
Solutions: 309

Hello Tyler good to see you here!

David

New to the Community? Register now and start posting!

Helpful Webroot Links:

Download (PC)   Download (Best Buy Subscription)   Submit Trouble Ticket   Account Console   User Guides   

"If you don't learn something new every day, you need to pay more attention. I often get my daily learning here so grab a chair and stay a while!"

WSA-Complete (Beta PC), WSA Mobile (Android), WSA Business Mobile (Android) WSA-Endpoint (PC- Some of the time.....)
Threat Researcher

TylerM wrote:

I've got a really obnoxious one right now that I'm dissecting and it has already annoyed many people in the office.

I can confirm this... I've had to turn the volume down on his test machine since for some reason the ads tend to start up when he's away from his desk...

-Dan

Webroot Threat Research
Topics: 668
Kudos: 8,431
Solutions: 625

DanP wrote:

TylerM wrote:

I've got a really obnoxious one right now that I'm dissecting and it has already annoyed many people in the office.

I can confirm this... I've had to turn the volume down on his test machine since for some reason the ads tend to start up when he's away from his desk...

-Dan

You tell him Dan! Smiley Very Happy

Daniel

coollogo_com-133794099.gif

asapvip.pngSigGVIP.pngEPA.png

Webroot® SecureAnywhere™ Internet Security Complete Beta Tester v9.0.3.19 on my main system Alienware 17R2, Windows 10 Pro x64 & HTC One M8 Android Lollipop 5.0.1 Phone v3.7.0.7159.

MVP.gif.pngMicrosoft® MVP Consumer Security  

Twitter1.png  Untitled-1.png  WBA.png