Solved

PC threat?

• 15 November 2014
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 1
What is the most common home PC threat an average person has to worry about?  What is the least common?
icon

Best answer by shorTcircuiT 15 November 2014, 01:18

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Really good question!

Hard to answer too, but my own opinion is that the biggest threat is "ransomware".  The Crypto malware that can encrypt computer's files demanding payment.  Some of them now have been shown that even if the ransom is paid there decrypt key is not provided.  

The good thing is that for those who use WSA a majority of the time they are protected, and there is the rollback to help as well.  But personally I think multiple off computer backups is essential at this point.

The least to worry about?  90% of the junk stories you see on facebook... unless you click on them and are asked to install a new media player that is.  NEVER do that LOL!

@ , what is your take on the question here?
Userlevel 1
What about other PC threats such as malware, tojan horses, worms, etc.  What is the likelyness of getting infected by one these or something else?  Which is the least I have to worry about? 
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
What is the most common home PC threat an average person has to worry about?  What is the least common?
@ wrote:
What about other PC threats such as malware, tojan horses, worms, etc.  What is the likelyness of getting infected by one these or something else?  Which is the least I have to worry about? 

It depends on the type of user really! Are you a happy clicker and click on attachments in emails from people you don't know and a happy installer meaning installing programs and not checking or unticking the unwanted add-ons then you can get any of 200,000 new or variants of Malware per day. Now if you are like me I have never been infected the last 10 years why and how education is the Key second is you have to keep your system and all software up to date and have a great Anti-Malware Solution like WSA. Oh and one last thing Back Up all important Programs, Pictures and any other files once a week then if your system has a bad infection that killed your OS or system dies as the Hard Drive dies then you have the back up files, there are so many variables. Now to answer your questions.

1. Most Common: PUA's https://community.webroot.com/t5/Techie-KB/How-to-Remove-Potentially-Unwanted-Applications/ta-p/40744
2. There is no least common IMO there's just to much out there to say for sure..

HTH,

Daniel 😉
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
Well, without a good AV like WSA I would say the chance of an infection, for the average person, is 90% or higher.

For those that practice VERY careful practices, the odds are a lot lower, but still not zero.  

The very worst risk is simply not having a good AV like WSA installed and active.

I generally put all malware types (trojans, worms, bots, ransomware) all into the same category: they are all malware that needs to be avoided and removed.  I really do not think there is any more or less a chance of becoming infected by any one type: all types are incredibly prevalent.  From Facebook spread malware to email attachments, the risk is about the same.

Safe use habits can take a little extra time, you cannot just plain click on anything and everything, even if you know and trust the person who sent it.  If their PC is infected, it can be sending out infected emails without them even knowing, and the same goes for Facebook users.  

There are malicous apps in Facebook that will post items designed to convince people to click them.  Once they click, they are brought to a malicious website and often also have their facebook account 'infected' with a malicous app.  (Facebook malicous apps are the EASIEST to get rid of though.. simply review what apps are active on your Facebook profile and remove those you do not recognize or trust.  The 'infection' is not actually within your PC with these, unless of course the malicious website they try to get you to click on infects you)

Never open an email attachment directly.  Always save it to a special folder used only for this purpose, and then manually scan it with your AV.

Do not click on any links in an email without checking it first using a service like Brightcloud or VirusTotal (I use BOTH).  The same goes for links on any webpage unless the page itself is VERY highy trusted, and links in a Facebook post.

NEVER install a new media player when a website tells you it is needed.  ALWAYS update your media players ONLY by going directly to the website for the player and manually updating it.  Pop-ups from a web site demanding you update it are very often infected downloads.

When you DO install or update from a venors own page, like Adobe or Java, always look very carefully and UNCHECK any and all optional software.  You want the one download ONLY and none of the other crap (PUA's).

I have writted far to much here LOL, but hopefuly it is of some help :)