SpyHunter 4 found some threats on my PC.

• 28 June 2015
  • 5 replies

I was looking for a way to remove Super ad remover from my PC. The online help page suggested that I download Spyhunter and it has found 1000+ threats. I know most are cookies. but that's still a lot of things Webroot missed.

I have Geek Squad Subscription Software.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Hi arlj11

Welcome to the Community Forums.

I would be very dubious about what Spyhunter is reporting especially when it suggests that your PC has 1000+ threats on it. Firstly I would doubt that you system would be usuable with that many real threats.  And secondly it depends on what and how SpyHunter classifies something as a threat that is important.

Often, these sorts of companies embellish, for want of a better word, the detections to enhance the opportunity to sell their software.

I strongly suspect that what they deem to be a threat is something that neither WSA nor any of the mainstream security apps would.

Further more,  SpyHunter was previously listed a a rogue productbecause of the company's history of employing aggressive and deceptive marketing.  Also telling is that you will be hard pressed to find very many reviews of the product with the reason apparenlty being that the publisher has not cooperated with the test sites most likely due to the apparent program's ineffectiveness and high rate of false positives, i.e., most likely that the vast majority of the 1000+ detected are false.

Anyway, that is what I have learnt about SpyHunter and to be honest I know who I would trust in an out and out comparisoon in tems of detections & protected...and it is NOT SpyHunter.

Regards, Baldrick
Okay.

Then why didn't Webroot catch Super Ad Remover in Google Chrome?
Userlevel 7
Hi arlj11

Thanks for your response.

SuperAd Remover is in fact a non-malware program we commonly refer to as a PUA or Potentially Unwanted Application.

At best this, like the majority of these PUAs, very annoying, in it causes pop-ups, may redirect your browser home page, and other behaviour that may slow down the computer as well as directing ads your way. But they are not actually doing anything bad like damaging files or stealing information. Often they are installed intentionally by the user as browser add-ons for various tasks such as quick search tools. But, and here is the rub, at other times they 'piggy back' with other software that the user installs, and try to 'sneak' onto ones system.

So these are programs/apps that some users do download voluntarily whilst in other the cases they are unsolicited, a state of affairs that gives security app authors a headache in that automatica removal may be against the PC/Mac owner's wishes.

So avoidance is the best approach, and the key to that, if you do not want them on your system, is to make sure that when downloading apps one does so from the author's own website or one that they have recommended, and not 3rd party downloading site.

Now, WSA does detect and remove many PUA's, and more are being added, but WSA does not detect all of them. A simple browser add-on with PUA behaviour that is easy to identify and easy to remove is not likely to be detected and removed by WSA. Those that are intentionally difficult to locate and remove are. Please see this link for more information regarding Webroot's stance on these annoying programs.

If you have or are suffering from PUAs that you do not want and that WSA has not detected or been able to remove, for the above reasons, and you feel or consider yourself technically proficient, then you can try these steps to remove it from your system.

However, if that does not work or you do not feel technically capable then the best thing to do is to Open a Support Ticket & ask Webroot Support to take a look and remove these for you.  There is NO CHARGE for this for valid WSA license holder.

I hope that the above adequately responds to your query?  But if not then please post back and we will do our best to respond further.

Regards, Baldrick
Well if your PC is infected with SuperAd then you can follow the instruction mentioned here – <Link removed as contrary to Community Guidelines>; Baldrick

It contains both manual and automatic method that will help you in removing Super Ads malware from your PC. I hope this may help you.
Userlevel 7
Hi henri2398

Welcome to the Community Forums.

We appreciate your desire to assist a fellow member but posting links or URLs relating to other sites such as the one that you reference are contrary to the Community Guidelines, as follows:

"The Webroot Community should be used to share information about issues relating to Webroot, Webroot products and services and Internet security generally. Please do not attempt to promote a separate organization or cause.  Links to third-party security vendors will be removed"

This also applies to security-related sites offering advice as to malware removal, etc. The policy here is that if assistance is required with malware removal then it should be left to the professionals such as the Webroot Support, or advice officially provided by Webroot in the form of Knowledge Base articles, etc.

For more infomation on the Community Guidelines please see here.

As I said at the start we appreciate your willingness to help but lets keep things Webroot-oriented as this isthe Webroot Community/Forums.

Regards, Baldrick