System Control Malfunction after Recent Updates

• Anonymous
  • 0 replies
Update for Windows 8.1 for x64-based Systems (KB3035583)
Update for Windows 8.1 for x64-based Systems (KB3000850)
Microsoft .NET Framework 4.5.2 for Windows 8.1 and Windows Server 2012 R2 for x64-based Systems (KB2934520)
Security Update for Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Service Pack 1 Redistributable Package (KB2538243)
Security Update for Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Service Pack 1 Redistributable Package (KB2565063)
Security Update for Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Service Pack 1 Redistributable Package (KB2538242)

When user attempts to access "More Information" via System Control or Execution History, the following error message is displayed.  Selecting "OK" causes GUI to terminate, but it re-launches.

NOTE:  I do not need support; this post is only to report issue to Webroot.

14 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Have you tried a clean reinstall of WSA? This is not the first time we seen this.

Can you please do a clean reinstall of WSA and Please follow the steps closely!

• Make sure you have a copy of your 20 Character Alphanumeric Keycode! Example:SA69-AANA-A783-DE78-C584
  • KEEP the computer online for Uninstall and Reinstall to make sure it works correctly
  • Download a Copy Here (Best Buy Subscription PC users click HERE)
  • Uninstall WSA and Reboot
  • Install with the new installer, enter your Keycode and don't import any settings if asked to as you can set it up as you like once it's done
  • Let it finish it's install scan
  • Reboot once again
Please let us know if that resolves your issue?

Thanks,

Daniel 😉
ThanksTripleHelix,

I already did a clean install of WSA following thos steps....

Unfortunately, no dice.
Userlevel 7
No reports of any issues in the support system, none of my VM's are having any issues. Without more information I cant say exactly what is going on. When you re-installed did you make sure NOT to import your old settings?
I did not import WSA settings.  WSA was installed from scratch.

The information is provided in the OP; after recent Windows updates the issue began.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Have a look at this thread to see if it can help you: https://community.webroot.com/t5/Webroot-SecureAnywhere-Complete/The-weird-issue-with-the-Control-Active-Processes/m-p/193579#M11740 so you might have to Submit a Support Ticket to get it sorted unless @ can give us more details as to what he did.

Thanks,

Daniel 😉
Thank you, TripleHelix...

Uninstall Update for Windows 8.1 for x64-based Systems (KB3000850) - and the issue stops, but Windows Explorer RAM increases to approximately 560 MB with double-entries.  See attached photo.

No Explorer windows are open.

I am fully aware that this issue is entirely a Microsoft matter - and not due to WSA.  KB 3000850 fixes it, but breaks System Control.

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Well I have it installed and I would say most of us Win 8.1 Pro x64 users do and I have no problem so it must be something else! Please contact support so they can look into it!

Thanks,

Daniel ;)

Userlevel 7
Hi HJLBX, Hi Daniel! :D

TripleHelix wrote:
Have a look at this thread to see if it can help you: https://community.webroot.com/t5/Webroot-SecureAnywhere-Complete/The-weird-issue-with-the-Control-Active-Processes/m-p/193579#M11740 so you might have to Submit a Support Ticket to get it sorted unless @ can give us more details as to what he did.

Thanks,

Daniel ;)

Daniel, of course and with pleasure I will share my way of solving the mentioned issue :D
And I will be very happy if only my suggestions may prove to be helpful :D

Well, to be honest, I haven't done anything special - the standard procedures of reinstalling WSA and restarting failed, so using the Macrium Software I restored the system to the state from a few days ago - it also didn't solve this issue.
That's why I decided to try reparing it using another way.
In the next step I removed the WSA and then after a reboot, I did the registry cleaning with CCleaner. Later, I thoroughly researched, found and manually removed the remaining elements of the WSA among the hidden system files, as well as in the registry.
Another steps were much more simple - I've rebooted my laptop once again, did another cleaning with CC and manually checked the registry if there is nothing left. After rebooting I made a clean installation of the WSA.
Another reboot and that's all - since then everything works fine :D
At the end, using Macrium, I made a new shnapshot of the whole system and files with all WSA features working as superb as they should - just in case ;)

But apart from all I wrote above, I must admit that I didn't have any problems with the Explorer and in the Task Manager I had almost the same values as those posted by Daniel for all the time - even while the issue was appearing.
So HJLBX, it really might be a good idea to Submit a Support Ticket and let the TechSupport know about it.

Best regards :D

Mike

Userlevel 7
Hi HJLBX,
@ wrote:

Uninstall Update for Windows 8.1 for x64-based Systems (KB3000850) - and the issue stops, but Windows Explorer RAM increases to approximately 560 MB with double-entries. 

Unfortunately - in my opinion - uninstalling this update is not the best idea :(

As I remember Microsoft uptade signed as KB3000850 was the criticial one (or one of them), which definitely resolved the issue with large amounts of RAM used by the Explorer.exe on some users machines with Windows 8.1 (64bit) on their boards - see this: https://community.webroot.com/t5/Webroot-SecureAnywhere-Antivirus/Explorer-exe-using-up-to-300mb-RAM/m-p/60523#M3078.

If you try to install this update again the problems with the Explorer RAM increases and its double entries should disappear and probably all your values in the Task Manager will be close to mine and those published by Daniel.
However, it seems to me that this update may indirectly impede some users on the proper use of these WSA features that I mentioned here:  https://community.webroot.com/t5/Webroot-SecureAnywhere-Complete/The-weird-issue-with-the-Control-Active-Processes/m-p/193579#M11740.

You can always try my way and I hope it will be helpful, but if not - you should definitely Submit a Support Ticket .

Please let us know about the results.

Best regards :D

Mike 
Hello Miquell,

Did a clean install of Windows (all bloatware and unnecessary drivers removed), updated, and then installed only WSA.

Still no fix.

Submitted Support Ticket early last week.

No reply as of yet.

Best Regards,

HJLBX
Userlevel 7
I dont see any support ticket from last week apart from the Crypto one which I replied to. 
Hello Rakanisheu,

The screenlock submission was appended to the support ticket originally submitted regarding the issue reported in this thread.

We did the run logs, uninstall, clean install using most recent installer, gather new logs and resubmit.

As this sort of thing takes time I assumed someone was working on it... that's why I expect I haven't received a reply.

No big deal really.

Best Regards,

HJLBX

PS - My hardware is AMD.  I've experienced various issues with security software... from Comodo to Surfright.  AMD hardware can be problematic, but eventually it gets fixed.
Userlevel 7
Apologies I see it at the start of the ticket my bad, I`ll see what happened with that case. 
Hello Rakanisheu,

It's not a problem.

It might take a good bit of time to get it sorted out.

WSA just doesn't like the KB on my hardware.

Lots of security softs do not get along with AMD hardware... so it's not a criticism of Webroot.

Best Regards,

HJLBX