Webroot and Windows XP Slow

• 23 October 2013
  • 4 replies

I'm using Webroot on Windows XP with 2 GB of memory.  In Webroot, it is using Web shield, Realtime Shield and Firewall. Yesterday (or maybe the evening before), in Firefox I had a message about enabling something for Webroot.  It seems like there's always something being updated, especially in Firefox, so I did not really pay too much attention.  But now when I am browsing, it takes forever for a page to be loaded.  If I run Task Manager, often I can see that WRSA.exe is using 85-95 percent of the CPU and taking several minutes for each page to load.  Eventually it finishes, CPU usage goes way down and I can scroll through the page.  IE is also having performance issues.

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Hello rmb3289 and welcome to the Webroot Community.

Yes, it is a known issue with the new Web shield that causes some issues across different browsers. Webroot is working out on a fix that should be available in the next update of the extension.

BTW, the prompt you got in FF was related to the new web shield that is now supplied as extension, so FF asked you if you want to install it or not.
Thanks for your quick reply.  Can I disable the extension in Firefox?  I looked around a bit (in Tools >> Add-ons) and did not see it.
Userlevel 7
I would gladly help you with FF but I don't have it installed. Though in Opera 17 and IE9 (the both having installed) you can disable this extension, so I guess in FF it has to be feasible as well. I am sure that other Webrooters with FF will assist you.
Userlevel 7
Badge +13
I have not receieved that prompt for the new extension yet,but if it's not listed under add-ons in firefox,check under extensions..as that is where the regular toolbar resides.I am sure it could be disabled like most extensions,at least for troubleshooting purposes,but i would not want to leave myself any more vulnerable.I am sure it is an issue that Webroot is aware of,and will be remedied in a future release.It never hurts to open a support ticket either and they will be able to gather some information about your unique system configuration to better help troubleshoot the problem.Every bit of info they can canvass from a user is quite helpful in obtaining a viable solution.