What does it mean if there is a yellow padlock over Webroot icon in systems tray

• 20 December 2014
  • 6 replies

what does it mean if there is a yellow padlock over webroot icon in systems tray

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +62
@ wrote:
what does it mean if there is a yellow padlock over webroot icon in systems tray

Hello @ 

Please have a look here at the User Guide and go here http://www.webroot.com/En_US/SecureAnywhere/PC/WSA_PC_Help.htm#C6_IDProtection/CH6c_ManagingProtectedApps.htm

Also the padlock WILL turn on and off, this is very normal. When the active window is a protected application, the padlock will show. When the active window is NOT a protected application (Due to no need for it to be as it does not access personal information anyway) the padlock will dissapear.

Please let us know if I didn't answer your question ok?

Best Regards,
@ wrote:
@ wrote:

Hello @ 
Please have a look here at the User Guide and go here http://www.webroot.com/En_US/SecureAnywhere/PC/WSA_PC_Help.htm#C6_IDProtection/CH6c_ManagingProtectedApps.htm

Also the padlock WILL turn on and off, this is very normal. When the active window is a protected application, the padlock will show. When the active window is NOT a protected application (Due to no need for it to be as it does not access personal information anyway) the padlock will disappear.
Please let us know if I didn't answer your question ok?
Best Regards,
Hello Webroot Community,
Please excuse that I am piggyback onto an old thread.  I was searching for help re why Padlock goes away and found above, perhaps related Ssherjj reply.
Suppose I enter login credentials to a protected (Padlock) active window and then for example, open Notepad.   Padlock for this used to be in the foreground protected window goes away even though my login creds are sitting there exposed. 
Suppose I enter login credentials to a protected (Padlock) active window and then for example, click Start Menu.  Padlock for this used to be in the foreground protected window goes away even though my login creds are sitting there exposed. 
Suppose I enter login credentials to a protected (Padlock) active window and then for example, click Speaker Icon.  Padlock for this used to be in the foreground protected window goes away even though my login creds are sitting there exposed. 
Please help me understand why <<When the active window is NOT a protected application (Due to no need for it to be as it does not access personal information anyway) the padlock will disappear.>>
I mean clicking on for example my taskbar clock does not as far as I can tell reduce my login credentials exposure.   
My browser is a Protected Application.  So, in my mind (for what it's worth) WSA Padlock should be active all the while my browser is active. 
Why does WSA only render Padlock for the foreground window even though sensitive information is present in the now background window when I check for example my speaker volume or check my calender. 

What is it about for example Minimize or Show the desktop that transform my active, running, open browser to not needing Padlock protection.
In my mind (again, for what it's worth) WSA Padlock should be active all the while my browser (Protected Application) is active. 
Just me.  Just saying.
Thanks for your time and interest. 
Edit: spelling
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ you are still protected from Info stealing Malware even if the Padlock doesn't show and you even can add things like Notepad to the ID Shield. I always add Outlook, Word and PDF readers....so you can add many things to be protected without the padlock showing.

Even though supported browsers are added automatically as they are the biggest threat vector.

https://community.webroot.com/t5/Webroot-SecureAnywhere-Antivirus/Identity-Shield-Deep-Dive/ta-p/142243

@ wrote:
@ you are still protected from Info stealing Malware even if the Padlock doesn't show and you even can add things like Notepad to the ID Shield. I always add Outlook, Word and PDF readers....so you can add many things to be protected without the padlock showing.
Aha!, super thrilled to read.....> still protected, even if the Padlock doesn't show <.

Hmm, wonder why Padlock toggles and wonder why mouse hover prompts "The foreground window...". 

Must be my mind.... thinking, ....WSA Padlock should be active all the while Protected Applications are active.

Much thanks!!!

bjm_ wrote
Hmm, wonder why Padlock toggles and wonder why mouse hover prompts "The foreground window...". 

Hi @

Just thought I'd chime-in to say that the padlock on the Webroot icon is dependant on mouse focus. That is why if you click on the taskbar, start menu, clock, etc. or open notepad the lock will go away. As soon as you focus (click) the mouse back to the protected webpage the lock reappears. You are protected the whole time, the lock just doesn't show when the mouse is focused on non-Identity Shield items in Windows.

Hope this info helps,

BD
@ wrote:
bjm_ wrote
Hi @
Just thought I'd chime-in to say that the padlock on the Webroot icon is dependant on mouse focus. That is why if you click on the taskbar, start menu, clock, etc. or open notepad the lock will go away. As soon as you focus (click) the mouse back to the protected webpage the lock reappears. You are protected the whole time, the lock just doesn't show when the mouse is focused on non-Identity Shield items in Windows.
Hope this info helps,
BD
Yes, much appreciation for your chime-in.  
Webroot icon is dependant on mouse focus & I'm protected the whole time. 

So,....does The foreground window is protected = The Protected Application is protected the whole time.?

Thanks!