What is a BOT?

• 6 September 2014
  • 3 replies

Received an E-mail from XFINITY, that my PC may have been infected with a "BOT". Apparently, this "BOT" arrives as an E-mail, is this correct? They want you to download there version of an an "Anti-Virus" software. They say it is a $360.00 value that is free with there internet access. Please let me know what this is, and does your software intercept it?

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Hi idctech

Welcome to the Community Forums.

WHAT EVER YOU DO YOU MUST NOT respond to the email, believe what they are saying, download any software offered...in short have nothing to do with them...THIS IS A SCAM.

I am fairly certain that you are not infected with anything at present but have no doubt that if you download what is offerred there are good chances that you will be...as a result of the download.

If you have not already then undertake a scan with WSA...and if that comes up blank then you are OK...but keep an eye out for any unusual behaviour on your machine...and come back here if you do notice something.

EDIT: Have done a little more research on this and it seems from the various discussions that I have read (and the name Comcast comes up a lot therein) that this whilst this may not be a pure scam it could be anything from over zealous to unethical marketing of the product offered in the email. There seem to be a lot of reports over the last 3 or 4 years about other contacted by email and almost every case I have seen the recipient scanned their system with other reputable security apps and nothing was found.  So whilst it is hard to be certain I stand by my statement in the paragraph above.

Regards, Baldrick
Userlevel 6
The Zombies are on the war-path!;)
Thanks for the post idctech and welcome! 
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:

EDIT: Have done a little more research on this and it seems from the various discussions that I have read (and the name Comcast comes up a lot therein) that this whilst this may not be a pure scam it could be anything from over zealous to unethical marketing of the product offered in the email. There seem to be a lot of reports over the last 3 or 4 years about other contacted by email and almost every case I have seen the recipient scanned their system with other reputable security apps and nothing was found.  So whilst it is hard to be certain I stand by my statement in the paragraph above.

Regards, Baldrick
Well, knowing all too well about Comcast and their XFINITY package, I have to agree with you Solly.  It's probably coming from his very own ISP.  Strange way to do business.  That's one reason I left them.