cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
New Voice

Re: Will Internet Security Plus work with dialup?

I guess I could just give it a try.  The worst it could do is just slow it down, and if that happens, then I guess I will have the answer to my question for sure. 

As for them doing anything on the computer while not online, they wouldn't know what to do anyway.  My folks are still completely lost when it comes to anything other than clicking on the AOL icon, waiting for it to dial in and connect, and going to baseball card sites and the like and checking email.  Of course, I did forget to mention that my stepfather goes on to Facebook daily.  However, other than leaving comments on Facebook and doing those other things, they wouldn't have a clue as to how to download or install anything, so that's not really a concern.  They are so lost that one day he called me because he couldn't connect, which was finally solved after about 20 minutes when he connected the phone cord to the USB modem.  He had no clue what the USB modem was and it took me 10 minutes of trying to describe what was wrong like I was talking to a third grader trying to do calculus.  So believe me, what they do with their computer is VERY basic.  No games, no downloading of any files, no installation of anything other than what I do for them.  They think I'm a genius because I can go online without AOL.  LOL. 

In the Advanced settings, there is a tick for "Automatically Download and Apply Updates".  What exactly are these updates?  Program updates? 

When they first connect to the internet each day, does Webroot connect to the servers, and if so, what exactly is it doing?  Also, in laymans terms, if it doesn't have the definitions on the computer, but rather in the "cloud" (servers), how is it that it can protect the computer when going to websites and such?  I guess this is why I have questions about using it with dialup, as I don't really know how Webroot works.  I do understand, though, that there aren't the large virus definition updates that there are with most other AV products. 

Thanks in advace.

They will be well protected and yes Updates are Program Updates which install in a flash and the Program is only 740kb!

Daniel

Community Expert Advisor

@Gabe1972
I use Dial-Up internet connection of mobile telecom internet service using a modem or dongle on a laptop. It has a download and upload speed of 230 kbps of which the speed usually roams around 190 kbps on daily usage. I'm gonna soon move on to 3G connection with 1 mbps speed. Probably next month.

I've been using WSA for 2 years now. I've never experienced any slowness or sluggishness in using the internet in presence of WSA. I had a problem with sluggishness in browsing sometime ago. I found out the problem was with another software.

I can assure you you'd feel no sluggishness when online in presence of WSA. It has offline protection. So no worries.

If you have confusions about WSA and want to know more about how WSA works as a cloud AV you're more than welcome to ask here in the Community. There are experts, experienced users and the whole Webroot Team who would surely explain and clear your confusions. Smiley Happy

New Voice

Thanks for the reply and the info.  I will definitely go ahead with it on their laptop.

Community Expert Advisor

You're welcome. Don't forget to let us know how it went.Smiley Wink