Windows 8.1 Login issue

• 4 January 2014
  • 5 replies

Just purchased a copy of Webroot Internet Security for my new Windows 8.1 laptop and everything was fine until I restared Windows.  After logging in I just got a dark screen and the mouse pointer.  Anyone run into this or familiar with it?  I needed to reboot into safe mode and uninstall webroot so that I could login again.  Any help would be greatly appreicated with it.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Hello Lorek and Welcome to the Webroot Community Forums!

That sounds unusual and I never seen that myself how long did you wait after reboot also did the Install scan run it's full scan? Do you have any other security running in realtime with WSA? If you can please reinstall and check Active Processes to see if anything is being Monitored or Blocked?

Thanks,

TH
Userlevel 7
Hi Lorek...Welcome to the Community :D

I run WIn 8.1 on a tablet and have installed WSA COmplete on it with no trouble at ll.  It scanned corrrectly and completed the install in the usual quick time.

I will await your response to Daniel's (TripleHelix) recommendation and see if I can simulate the same.  Do you have any what I would call 'unusual' or esoteric software on your new laptop?  When I install WSA on my Dell the first thing I checked was the Active Processes tab (a good tip to do when ever you install any new software post your install of WSA as well) but found nothing untoward there.

Regards

Baldrick
Qualcomm Network manager, Two Bluetooth applications, and the Killer Network software was being monitored.  I switched them to trusted.  Closed active processes and then opened it again.  Two more process were briefly listed as monitored and switched those to Allow as well.

Will try another restart.
Userlevel 7
Hi Lorek

That sounds promising...let us know how you get on with the restart.

For the record you should only really changed from 'Monitor' to 'Allow' those processes that you are confident as 'good' (except in these circumstances) 😉 The reason is that WSA when 'monitoring' journals all actions that the monitored process does so that if that process is found to be 'bad'/malware, then WSA will automatically reverse all those actions based on the previous journaling.

HTH?

Regards

Baldrick
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
Qualcomm Network manager, Two Bluetooth applications, and the Killer Network software was being monitored.  I switched them to trusted.  Closed active processes and then opened it again.  Two more process were briefly listed as monitored and switched those to Allow as well.

Will try another restart.
Baldrick is correct and if it does reboot OK or not please Submit a Support Ticket with WSA installed as I'm sure they can solve your issues as it could be a simple thing as Whiteliting your Unknown files. If you can do a scan then Right Click on they Webroot Tray Icon and Save a Scan Log and have a look at your log and give us a close number of files that have [u] (Unknown) in front of them?

Example: [g] Means known Good in my case as I don't have any [u] files!

Scan Started: Sun 05-01-2014 13:01:14
[g] c:program filesvideolanvlcvlc.exe [MD5: F5FB4FCA07406843FD73278CBD50765D] [Flags: 40010000.15]
[g] c:program files (x86)common filesinstallshieldprofessional
untime1150intel32ctor.dll [MD5: 214B4162B90AB9B18BA0EDC36B3EE070] [Flags: 40080000.27]

Thanks,

TH ;)