Windows Defender & MSE

• 21 April 2016
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +7
Have just installed WR IS to three PC's - all is well apart from one little quirk.
Cancellation of the microsoft AV's seems a bit suspect.

1 machine on windows 7 - 32 bit (with MSE) Webroot did not cancel MSE, but I was able to go to 'services' and disable the entry.

2 Windows 10 PC's show a window stating 'windows defender is turned off'  when computers are booted up. When I go to services, I note that the defender window still show ,Manual but the window is greyed out - so I am unable to select disable.

Can someone confirm that if I re-install WR to these 2 PC's that I will not stray over my 3 device allowance and thereby invalidate my attempted repair?
Thanks in advance for your comments

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Hi Purgatory

In terms of what you are seeing re. Windows 10 it is quite normal as far as I know...I have WD 'disabled' & the window is 'greyed out'.

You should not have an issue if you reinstall WSA on those two PCs...what I would do first, before you do so is to go to your online console (HERE) and make sure that you deactivate those two PCs if they are still showing as registered, and then when you reinstall them they should re-register, etc.

Regards, Baldrick
Userlevel 2
Badge +7
Have now found the answer (hopefully)

Although Webroot 'turned off' windows Defender - it still was present in the start up list. A visit to task manager showed WD in the start up list. So was able to disable from there, and it seems that all is now well.