Windows will not boot at all, i get this on a blue screen instead: windowssystem32drivers WRkrn.s

• 17 September 2016
  • 21 replies

This is what i get when i try to fireup my computer.  
File: windowssystem32drivers WRkrn.sys

which has something to do with webroot after doing some research
I can not log into the computer to uninstall and reinstall as i have seen suggested 

how do i fix this and get my PC back up and running ?

?

21 replies

Hi hvphotog,

Welcome to the Webroot Community.

Sorry to hear you're having trouble.

Are you able to boot into Safe Mode? (quickly tap f8 key after POST until options appear. Choose "Safe Mode with Networking")

Then try unistalling using the normal Add/Remove Programs function.

Can you please try this and post back here to let us know?

Thanks,;)
BD
I can get to this screen and have tried every option many times and it reverts back to the  screen i posted above, I am unable to get to a comand prompt or safe mode.  

an?
Hi hvphotog,

Did you happen to make a Windows recovery USB drive? If not, do you know anyone with the same version of Windows that could make one for you? Did you happen to make any backups or images of this PC?

These are really the only things I can think of that may help you to boot your computer. If the computer won't boot then I don't think Webroot support will be able to do anything.

Sorry I could't be more helpful. Maybe other members will see this post and reply with other helpful suggestions.

Regards,
BD
No i did not, a mistake i will not make again, i have a laptop that has windows 10 on it although it is a touch screen and resembles a phone and app layout which i hate.

I tried to download windows 10 from MS to a usb thumb drive and reinstall but it keeps asking for drivers from another media device and does not say which drivers
I can get to a command prompt and wondering if there is a way to get to safe mode from the command prompt ?
@ wrote:
I can get to a command prompt and wondering if there is a way to get to safe mode from the command prompt ?
I don't think so but there may be a way to uninstall using command prompt. Please enter this exactly into the command prompt. Be sue to include quotes.

"C:Program FilesWebrootWRSA.exe" –uninstall

BTW, there is a space between the the last quotation mark and the dash before uninstall.

Let us know if this helps, please.

BD

will it still boot without that file or will it look someplace else for webroot stuff ?

just curious being i wouldnt want to dig myself in further 
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Just follow BurnDaddy's advice to get WSA uninstalled then once that is done we can help you to reinstall WSA!

Thanks,

Daniel 😉
Going to try it right now, will get back with an undate shortly..
Thank you both
?

not sure why it is upside down, can not figure out how to rotate it here

I beleive i am tping the command in correctly but that is what i get
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
It has to look like this with the QUOTES then press enter:

?

?
are the quotation marks needed ?
and when doing so should i be in the windowssystem32 directory or from the C: ?

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Open the Command Prompt and copy and paste! 

"C:Program FilesWebrootWRSA.exe" –uninstall

and press enter exactly!
@ wrote:
and when doing so should i be in the windowssystem32 directory or from the C: ?

You should be in the windowssystem32 directory. Yes you need the quotes. Please have a look at TripleHelix's photo above, it shows exactly how it should look.
did exactly what you pictures and got this message

"this version of C:program fileswebrootwrsa.exe is not compatible with the version of windows you're running.  check your computers system information and then contact software publisher"

lol
ok heading into the correct directory to run command again

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Please Submit a Support Ticket and they will help you and even do a Remote to your system if necessary.

Thanks,

Daniel 😉
in the correct dir now and still got the same message about it not being compatible with my version of windows instead of it uninstalling it

@ wrote:
in the correct dir now and still got the same message about it not being compatible with my version of windows instead of it uninstalling it

This is the same command you would use regardless of your Windows version. I get the feeling that something may have become broken when you tried to reinstall Windows as mentioned in your previos post. Please submit a trouble ticket to Webroot and be sure to tell them that you only have access to the command prompt. Hopefully they can get this resolved for you.
i have already