Yahoo taking over Chrome, Firefox--malware?

• 22 November 2015
  • 2 replies

I downloaded a program a few days ago. An hour later, I could no longer access Chrome or Firefox. As soon as I click on Chrome icon, I see Chrome for an instant, then the Yahoo screen appears (same for Firefox). I had Webroot but it had expired-so I installed it again. A scan detected many malware files related to this download. After Webroot repaired problems, however, I still get Yahoo. I've checked online & done all I can fnd to delete other files, change setting, etc...but this will not go away. Other people online have the same problem. What is going on & what can I do?

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Hi Kat2

Welcome to the Community Forums.

It sounds like either you have a PUA (Potentially Unwanted Application) in your system or you may still have the default homepage set to Yahoo in the browsers that you mentioned. Let's not worry too much about the former...it is not as bad as it may sound, if it is indeed the cause.

As the latter is the easiest to check & sort lets deal with that one first. To reset this for Firefox please see this article from the Mozilla Support Forums, and for Chrome see this article from the Google Support Forums.

Try the above and see if it helps and if not then post back and we will take a look at the possibility of a PUA beingthe cause.

Regards, Baldrick

Userlevel 7
Badge +6
You mean that instead of the default search engine of google you see yahoo?
What do you see under settings / search ( google chrome ) ?
Can you select google there & apply the change?