Solved

a bad thing about Webroot Trial Licenses !

• 16 June 2016
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 5
Hi.

recently i found out something wrong with the Trial WebRoot keycodes ... this is a way which some users can abuse from that !  let me explain it :

what they need for a free Trial Keycode ? just a Proxy Extensions or something like VPN ! and 1 email !

so they can go in the page ( Trial request page ) and fill the form( name , email ... ) and then they can have a new Trial keycode ! so what Webroot think about this ? i think Webroot should fix this ( this is like a bug ! and have a damage for Webroot Sales... 

i hope you underestand my concern  and Thank You

Best,
Parham
icon

Best answer by nic 16 June 2016, 17:34

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Hi MrParham

The point is that a trial will eventually expire and thereafter only acts as a scanner, i.e., no removal options once the trial has expired...so to be honest, I am not sure that it is a big issue.

Regards, Baldrick
Userlevel 5
Hello Baldrick thank you for the answer

well still this is a bad thing because for example a user when Trial expired can come in site and with a new email and ip  get a new Trial keycode and again again again.... ! 

i think Webroot should somehow fix this problem .. this is a way for abus ... :)

Regards,
Parham
Userlevel 7
What he is saying is that a user can potentially get unlimited trial licenses by using a VPN (or Tor) & a different email address each time; thus constantly extending their 'trial' without purchasing a keycode, and preventing it from reverting to the 'only scanner' state.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Yeah you can but I think the number of people willing to jump through those hoops is so small as not worth worrying about. We have bigger issues with people sharing keycodes online and going over their installation limits.
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
Yeah you can but I think the number of people willing to jump through those hoops is so small as not worth worrying about. We have bigger issues with people sharing keycodes online and going over their installation limits.
Precisely, Nic...that was exactly my thinking...one wants a security solution that does the job without fail rather than have to constantly remember that one needs to check as to when the trial expires, activating new trail keycodes, etc. ;)