cant turn off webroot on my computer to turn on windows defender even though my keycode has expired

• 9 October 2014
  • 2 replies

My keycode expired months ago and ive been using my computer, but webroot keeps popping up showing me threats. That got annoyin so i uninstalled webroot, but it still kept showing up telling me i have threats. Now im trying to deactivate it so i can turn on windows defender but it does not let me. Please Help 🙂

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Hello therealbeef, and Welcome.

I'm a bit concerned by the warnings you're seeing about threats, and if you haven't used a trial of Webroot, then would recommend doing so to ensure an infection-free status. But nevertheless, If the usual uninstall method has failed, then please try this. Or if you have any questions let us know. Thanks.

For Windows Vista and Windows 7:
  1. Open the Start menu by clicking the Start icon.  
  2. Type the following into the Start Search bar, exactly as it appears below.  Note: This path is for the default location. If you installed the program elsewhere, be sure to modify the path accordingly. "C:Program FilesWebrootWRSA.exe" –uninstall  
  3. Press the Enter key on your keyboard.  
  4. When prompted to uninstall, click Yes.

For Windows 8:
  1. Move your cursor to the bottom right of the screen to open the Charm Bar menu.  
  2. Click Search, then type the following into the Start Search bar, exactly as it appears below. Note: This path is for the default location. If you installed the program elsewhere, be sure to modify the path accordingly. "C:Program FilesWebrootWRSA.exe" –uninstall  
  3. Press the Enter key on your keyboard.  
  4. When prompted to uninstall, click Yes         
Userlevel 7
Hi therealbeef

Welcome tot the Community Forums.

Just to add a little to what Dermot has advised...you need to run the commands with elevated privileges, i.e., as an administrator. In case you do not know hoe to do that just type the phrase 'cmd' in the search (Win8) or Start Menu (Win7), right click on the 'cmd' option displayed in the list and select 'Run as administrater' from the context menu displayed.

That should givem you a command window with elevated privileges...and you can proceed.

Regards, Baldrick